Residency in France and the Carte de Séjour

Residency in France for EU and non-EU Citizens: Know who needs a Carte de Séjour French Residence Permit and how and where to go about making an application...

The right of a person to live and work in France depends on their citizenship as follows:

  1. Non-European Union Citizens: A Carte de Séjour, also known as a Titre de Séjour, is a residence permit required by French law for any non-European Union citizen staying in France for a period longer than three months. They must apply for a long stay visa (visa long séjour) prior to leaving their home country.
  2. European Union (EU) and European Economic Area (EEA) Citizens: All EU citizens and EEA citizens and their family members have the right to live and work in France and do not require a work or residence permit. Note: The non-EU/EEA spouse and dependent family members of an EU citizen in France are entitled to the same rights as an EU citizen to live in France, however within two months of arrival in the country they must apply for a residence permit (Carte de Séjour) and will not be entitled to all rights afforded EU/EEA citizens in France. "Family members" are the spouse, children under 21 years of both the EU citizen or their non-EU spouse (and dependent parents, under certain circumstances).

* For UK citizens living in France there will be no change to their current rights and status until after Brexit. UK citizens currently residing lawfully in France are covered by the ‘Withdrawal Agreement’ until the end of its implementation period on 31 December 2020. This agreement secures rights and allows UK residents to remain in France after Brexit.

British nationals and their family members can apply for a residence permit via the Ministère de l’Intérieur online permit application service. Having a residence permit will be mandatory from 31 October 2020. Applications must be made within six-months of the UK leaving the EU.

For more information visit: GOV.UK or Ministère de l’Intérieur