Importing from Within the European Union

Find out how to register your vehicle if you are importing it to France from an EU (European Union) country...

No duty is charged on a used vehicle imported for personal use, provided that VAT has been paid in the EU country where it was bought, that the vehicle is at least six months old (date since first registration) and has driven at least 6,000 Km prior to entry into France.

For a new vehicle bought in another EU member state, the TVA must be paid in France unless the French Fiscal Services are provided with the original receipt stating that VAT has been paid and, and there is proof of a valid foreign registration of the vehicle. (A new vehicle is one that was first registered less than six months before or has not driven more than 6,000 Km.)

  1. Take the vehicle's original registration documents and receipt of sale to the Centre des Impots. A fiscal certificate (Quitus Fiscal) or tax clearance form is issued. In some instances, there are customs and Tax charges payable, depending on the age/mileage of the car. Further information about obtaining a Quitus Fiscal from Service Public (in French)
  2. There are two ways to identify that the car is of a recognised type in France or in the EU. Either by the identification number given by the manufacturer for cars produced in series (Certificate de Conformité Europeen) or with a “Attestation RTI" (Reception à Titre Isolé) from DREAL.
  3. If the car is more than four years old it will need to pass a côntrole technique, the French roadworthiness test (similar to the MOT); this must have occurred less than six months previously (two months if a contre-visite or re-test is required). Roadworthiness certificates from another European country are accepted

How to register a vehicle imported from the EU online

All vehicle registrations are now done online via the Agence National des Titres Securisés - ANTSThis agency is responsible for issuing and updating French car registration documents; each vehicle requires a Certificat d’Immatriculation. 

Once you are on the page Autre demande,


  • Immatriculer un vehcule pour une première fois en France under Catégorie

Then select

  • Immatriculer un Véhicule en provenance de l'étranger under Sous Catégorie

The following documents will need to be provided (scanned copies or photos):

  • Proof of residence/address (property title deeds, rental contract, utility bill)
  • Proof of sale or ownership of the vehicle
  • Foreign registration certificate
  • Côntrole technique certificate if required

A copy of the Certificat de Conformité Européen (issued by the manufacturer or their agent) or an Attestation RTI and a copy of the certificate of purchase and customs clearance certificate (issued by the Centre des Impots) may also be required, as well as proof of insurance.

You will need to pay a registration fee based on the CV engine power of the vehicle, this can only be paid by debit or credit card.

Once all relevant fields have been filled in and documents uploaded, you will get

  • A file number
  • An acknowledgement of registration of your application
  • A Provisional Certificate of Registration (certificat provisoire d'immatriculation - CPI), which you will need to print. The CPI allows you to drive the car for 1 month, until you receive the final Certificat d’Immatriculation / Carte Grise. This is sent by recorded delivery, and you should receive it within 7 working days.

You can also track the progress via the ANTS website.

Further information about registering your foreign-plated car in France from the ANTS website.

Next, new number plates (plaques d'immatriculation) must be ordered, made and fitted.

Last updated 30/09/2020