How to Get Married in France

Find out about the documents required and the conditions which must be met prior to a French wedding ceremony...

What are the legal requirements for getting married in France?

Before your French wedding can take place, one of you must have been resident in a commune in France for a minimum of 30 days. The civil marriage must take place in that commune. If you have both been resident for over 30 days in different communes, the application for the civil marriage may be made to the Mairie (Town Hall) of either commune. It is also possible to get married in the commune where the parents of either you or your partner are living. The Mairie will give you an explanatory brochure (in French) about the documents and certificates to be provided. Only original documents or authenticated photocopies will be accepted. Documents not in French should be translated by a sworn translator (traducteur assermenté). Names of sworn translators are available from the Mairie or local police station. 

French law requires the publication of Banns at the Mairie of your place of residence 10 days prior to the civil marriage. Certain documents must be received and approved by the Mairie before Banns may be posted. A Mairie may require a complete marriage file 10 or more days before the publication of Banns. We advise you confirm these requirements as soon as possible if you are planning to get married in France. 

If you choose to have a religious ceremony, this may only be performed after the civil ceremony. The minister, priest or rabbi will require the certificate of civil marriage (certificat de célébration civile) as proof that the civil ceremony has taken place. 

Can foreigners living abroad get married in France?

If neither you or your partner are French residents, it is not possible to get married in France unless one of the following conditions apply::

  • You or your partner live continuously in the commune where the marriage will take place, for 30 days prior to the wedding 
  • You or your partner have a parent living in France (proof of domiciliation will re required)

Documents required to marry in France

The following documents will probably be required (do confirm the full list with the mairie):

  • Valid passport or carte de séjour (residency permit)
  • Acte de Naissance Intégral: Unabridged birth certificate less than 3 months old supplied by a bureau of records, not a hospital (6 months if the service supplying the records is based abroad)
  • Justificatifs de domicile: Proof of address supplied by the resident of the commune. Ideally provide two documents proving residency in the commune, for example an electricity (EDF) bill, telephone account, rent receipt or residential insurance documents
  • Information about the witnesses (such as personal and professional details)
  • The Certificat du Notaire if you have concluded a prenuptial agreement (contrat de mariage)
  • If you have children, you will need to provide birth certificates (less than 3 months old) and the family booklet (livret de famille)
  • If either of the you has been divorced or widowed you should supply proof in the form of a marriage certificate or birth certificate (bearing the mention of the divorce) or an Acte de décès (in the case of widowhood). 

Foreigners getting married in France may be expected to present the following:

Certificat de Coutume: An Affidavit of Law which should be prepared by a legal professional licensed to practice in France and the national's country. However, an "Attestation" in lieu of a "certificat de coutume" issued by your home country Embassy in France may be acceptable. The Certificat de Coutume and Affidavit of Marital Status statements concern marriage laws in your home country and are required to certify that you may, under law of your country, be married. Both documents may be available from your Embassy in France. The documents must be in French.

Certificat de Célibat: A certificate of single-status (or attestation tenant lieu de declaration en vue de mariage ou de non-remariage) less than 3 months old. Legal documents not in French must usually be translated by a sworn translator and have an official seal, the Certificate of Apostille of the Hague.

Note that if you are already in a registered partnership (PACS), it is automatically dissolved upon marriage to each other

Your home country Embassy can help with the preparation of certain documents (for a fee).

Prenuptial agreements 

A prenuptial agreement, or marriage contract (contrat de mariage) stipulates the matrimonial regime (régime matrimonial) that you will be married under. If you want a marriage contract it must be drawn up by a notary public before the wedding; if the wedding proceeds without this, you will automatically be married in community of property (communauté de biens réduite aux acquêts). This means that items you each own personally before the marriage and whatever comes to you afterwards through inheritance remains your property. That which is acquired during the marriage is owned equally by both parties. The two most common marital regimes are: being married out of community of property (séparation de biens) and a combination of separation and joint ownership (participation aux acquêts). A notary will advise.

If there is a marital contract, the notary provides a Certificat du notaire or Attestation du notaire which confirms its existence. This certificate must have been drawn up no more than two months prior to the marriage and is submitted to the mairie along with the other documents. 

Previous marriages 

If either of the couple has been divorced or widowed they should supply proof in the form of an marriage certificate or birth certificate (bearing the mention of the divorce) or an Acte de décès (in the case of widowhood). 

Help preparing documents 

The national Embassy of foreigners marrying in France can assist with the preparation of certain documents (for a fee).


  • Service Public - Information about getting married from the French government website


  • Service Public - Information about getting married from the French government website