Find out how to get your new home connected to the landline telephone service in France...
(formerly France Telecom) is currently the only operator which can install or reactivate fixed landlines. Even if choosing another operator for the fixed landline services, it is necessary to subscribe to rent the phone line from Orange.
A number of telecom companies provide home telephone services that includes telephone, Internet and digital television. Prices vary from one company to another and depend on the chosen package. In most cases it is possible to subscribe online, by telephone or at a customer service center or shop.
Other landline providers include:
- Numericable-SFR is cable television and internet provider that also offers fixed line phone services.
- Free offers fixed, mobile and Internet services with low rates for international calls.
- Bouygues Télécom large telephone and Internet provider in France
Orange English-speaking Service
Orange has an English-speaking customer service helpline.
- Tel (from France): 09 69 36 39 00
- Tel (from abroad): 0033 969 36 39 00
- Press 1 for Technical support
- Press 2 for Commercial support including registration, invoices, billing queries, line activation, changing personal details and moving home queries
- The Orange websitehas comprehensive information in English on it's products and services
Getting Connected: Telephone
To have a domestic landline
telephone installed, connected or reconnected, apply at the local Orange office or Freecall: 1014
When requesting a line installation or connection the following are required:
- Proof of identification
- Proof of address: a recent electricity bill, a tax bill or a rental contract
Orange has a separate business line
division, the Orange Pro
. A business registration number (SIREN) is required when applying to prove that the business is legally registered. Freecall: 1016
If a property has a line already installed, the account can be transferred to the name of the new occupant and re-connection can be arranged.
) include VAT (TVA
), and are sent every two months. They can be paid by direct debit, by cheque, by credit card, TIP (Titre Interbancaire de Paiement
) or online.
Registration for online payments requires the Orange client number (printed at the top of an invoice) and a RIB.
Second Home in France
A landline telephone service in a second property or holiday home (résidence secondaire
) can be made temporarily dormant in times of absence.
Temporary line suspension
In order to qualify for the second home line service (service ligne résidence secondaire
) it is essential to:
- Have a permanent subscription (Abonnement Principal)
- Provide evidence that it is a second home (this can be done with an insurance contract or tax document indicating the main address, or through proof of residence abroad)
A request is made for temporary suspension of the line, by calling 3000. There is a fee to suspend the line, but it is free to activate it again. The service can be suspended for one to 12 months. Calls can be forwarded overseas.
|Orange English-speaking customer service
||Tel: 09 69 36 39 00
|Call centre open daily, 24 hours a day (24/7)
|Call centre, calling from outside France
||Tel: +33 09 69 36 39 00
|After sales service
|Technical assistance for residential lines (24/7)
|Technical assistance for business lines (24/7)
|Call return (the last number to call your phone)
|To call out of France dial exit code
||00 followed by country code and number
|To call into France dial entry code
||33 followed by French number excluding 0
Every year the Yellow Pages (Pages Jaunes) directory of businesses and the White Pages (Pages Blanches) directory of private numbers are issued by the post office. In most regions these phone books are delivered door-to-door. The directories are organised alphabetically by town/village name. To use the directories, find the appropriate town in the directory first, and then look for the name or service in that town.
Being unlisted or ex-directory
There are two ex-directory/unlisted options which can be subscribed to. Both are free services and registration can be made online by entering the relevant number, along with an email address and contact telephone number.
- The Liste Rouge removes all details of a subscriber's telephone number from the directories issued by Orange, both printed and online. Additionally the telephone number will not be disclosed by telephone number services.
- The Liste Orange removes details of the telephone number from Orange directories directories as well as unsolicited telesales or marketing call lists.