Changes to Vehicle Registration; the Grey Card

Find out how to go about changing the details of your vehicle's registration document...

As of November 2017 Grey Card services are online rather than in-person or by post with the local prefecture.

Services offered online are:

  • Change of ownership
  • Change of address
  • Request for a replacement
  • Change of lessee, if the vehicle is leased
To complete any of the above process, visit the official Grey Card government website (in French)
  • Input your licence plate details
  • Select one of the four options above from the dropdown box
  • Select your department of residence
You can also see an unofficial English-language version of the page. Please note this a machine-translation only, so we can't guarantee its reliability.

Documents needed for upload

These should be scanned, or photographed using a smartphone with high enough resolution for all the on-page details to be seen clearly. Supporting documentation usually includes:

  • If the car is older than four years, a Contrôle technique (CT) roadworthiness document no older than 6 months will be needed.
  • Proof of identity: passport, Carte de Séjour or French driving licence.

Additional documents required for change of address, or change of name through marriage

  • Proof of new residence: EDF bill, deed of sale or rental agreement (a copy of the landlord's passport may be required); for a name change a marriage certificate is required
  • A contrôle technique is not needed

After an Accident

If a car is involved in a severe accident, the police may take the Carte Grise and send it to the Prefecture. If the car can be repaired, a report will be needed from a recognised expert, which explains the damage and proves that the car will be safe once repaired. The expert will provide a certificate which must be taken to the to the Préfecture. If it is satisfactory, your Carte Grise will be returned to you. If the car cannot be repaired you must notify the Préfecture and the registration will be cancelled.

Destruction/Scrapping a Vehicle

A vehicle may only be destroyed by an approved, professional scrapper (démolisseur or broyeur) after ownership has been transferred to them. It is essential that the owner notifies the Préfecture.
  • The owner wishing to have a vehicle destroyed must assign ownership to the scrapper via the online form (in French)
  • See also the unofficial English-language formIMPORTANT: This is a machine-translation, not an official translation and should be used for guidance only
  • Within 15 days of handover the scrapper must supply the owner with a receipt for destruction of the vehicle. The scrapper must lodge a copy of the receipt and the Grey Card given by the owner with the local prefecture
  • When the prefecture receives the receipt and the Grey Card, registration of the vehicle is officially canceled

Related Information