Importing a Vehicle From a Non-European Union Country

Taxes and registration requirements for vehicles from non EU (European Union) countries...

No duty is payable on a used vehicle imported for personal use, provided that all customs fees and taxes due were paid in the country of origin and that the vehicle has belonged to the registered owner for over six months, and that they were resident outside the EU for at least 12 months.

The process is as follows:

  1. Take the vehicle's original registration documents and receipt of sale to the Centre des Impots. A fiscal certificate or tax clearance form is issued. There are customs and tax charges payable, depending on the age/mileage of the car. A certificat de dédouanement 846A is issued.
  2. Apply to the motor registration department at the local Préfecture or Sous-Préfecture for a demande d'immatriculation. This initiates the process of registration. A dossier will be opened.


  • Proof of identity
  • Proof of residence (property title deeds, rental contract, utility bill, insurance certificate)
  • A copy of the foreign registration certificate
  • Copy of the attestation de conformité (issued by the manufacturer or their agent)
  • A copy of the certificate of purchase and customs clearance certificate (issued by the Centre des Impots)
  • French Côntrole technique certificate if the car is more than four years old; this must have occurred less than six months previously (two months if a contre-visite or re-test is required).

The applicant will have to complete a déclaration de mise en circulation and a form for additional information about the vehicle. Your dossier will be sent to the DREAL, which will send notification by mail when to present the vehicle for examination at the DREAL testing centre.

If it passes the test, the DREAL will issue a statement of approval. Take the statement of approval, the Carte Grise and new registration number to the local Préfecture or Sous-Préfecture. All that remains is to have new number plates made and fitted.