How to set up as a sole trader or start a small business in France re-selling goods or materials, or offering services. Understand the taxes due, invoicing and book-keeping obligations...
As explained in Angloinfo's Information Page on Starting a Business in France
, any for-profit activity in France - regardless of the amount of revenue generated - requires a legal structure, with the business either:
- Registered as an individual operator (sole trader), or
- Registered as a company/corporation
The statut auto-entrepreneur
simplifies the process of registering and running the smallest sole-trader businesses.
This applies to those who wish to run a business under the Micro-BIC
or Micro-BNC tax régimes
, where annual turnover (2018) is less than:
- €170,000 for those re-selling goods or materials, as well as hotels and rural gîtes
- €70,000 for those offering services
- RSI provides an extensive document with information, L’Auto-Entrepreneur (January 2015) (PDF in French)