When leaving Monaco and moving on, there are a number of tasks to be completed before departure. Anyone who registered with their Embassy on arrival now needs to advise them that they are leaving.  Citizens of Australia, Canada, the USA and the United Kingdom can find details of the embassies and consulates responsible on the Local Consulates page.

Local Authorities

Any foreign national who wishes to stay in Monaco for longer than three months or take up residency must apply for a residency permit, a Carte de Séjour.

The process is different for nationals of the European Economic Area/EEA (European Union countries plus Norway and Iceland) than for non-EEA countries, and it also differs for non-EU nationals who have a French residency permit.

Any change in address, employment or marital status must be reported to the Residents Section of the Directorate of Public Security (Direction de la Sûreté Publique).

  • For more information about how to notify the Residents Section about a change in circumstance: Click here


Schools should be given a reasonable amount of notice of a child's departure. There may be outstanding bills for school fees, transport or meals to be settled.

A summary of the child's progress and up-to-date test results should be requested from the school when giving notice of departure in case they are required by the new school.

Leave a forwarding address for any correspondence. For further details, contact the Department of Education, Youth and Sports. Those wishing to retain Monegasque residency and enrol their child in a school outside the region must complete an annual declaration to the Department of Education, Youth and Sports to that effect.

Housing Issues

Rental contract

The conditions of a rental contract will vary depending on which of Monaco’s many estate agents the property is managed by.  Short-term contracts on properties in Monaco are often automatically renewed, and sufficient notice (usually three months) must be given by the tenant to avoid entering another agreement. A contract may be terminated before it expires by mutual agreement. The return of the deposit, which usually represents three months’ rent, will depend on the condition of the property.

Property sales

Those who have purchased property and wish to sell it prior to departure may choose to use one of Monaco’s estate agents to facilitate the sale. It is advisable to seek professional legal and financial advice before selling.


The procedures of international and expatriate insurers providing services to residents of Monaco will vary. In general, Monegasque insurance policies renew automatically, and written notice must be given by recorded delivery several months in advance of the cut-off date. However, the sale of a property may permit automatic cancellation of the policy. The cancellation periods of bespoke policies for exceptional residential properties should be checked with the insurer.

Utility Bills

Electricity and gas

Société Monégasque de l'Electricité et du Gaz (SMEG) is the sole supplier of gas and electricity in Monaco. When leaving Monaco or moving to another house or apartment, contact SMEG with the proposed leaving date. The contract will be cancelled and a final bill sent.


Water services are provided by the Société Monégasque des Eaux. Some apartment buildings include water service in the general charges. For residences in which this is not the case, a written cancellation notice should be submitted. For more details, contact the customer service line (in French):

  • Société Monégasque des Eaux
    At: 29 Avenue Princesse Grace, 98000 Monaco (MC)
    Tel: +377 93 30 83 67

Telephone and Internet

Monaco Telecom is the sole provider of telecommunications in Monaco. To cancel a subscription, account holders must submit a written request along with a photocopy of an identification document to the central office. The cancellation will be effected after one month, and other conditions may apply. For more details, contact the customer services department (in English, French and Italian).


Many residents of Monaco choose to take out private healthcare insurance, as not all the cost of healthcare is reimbursed by the state. Any private health insurance cover which has been in force may need to be changed or cancelled. Anyone who has received medical treatment while in Monaco should have their records forwarded to their new practitioner or ask for a copy.

Business and Tax Issues


To settle all final bills (in Euros), a French or Monegasque account should be kept open for a short period prior to repatriation. For full details of account closing procedures, an account holder should contact their Monaco bank.


Monaco does not levy any income tax on individuals: indirect taxes and social taxes are levied in their place. Those who believe that they are entitled to reimbursement should contact the Department of Fiscal Affairs (Direction des Services Fiscaux).

  • Department of Fiscal Affairs
    At: 57 Rue Grimaldi, Le Panorama, 98000 Monaco
    Tel: +377 98 98 81 21/ +377 98 98 81 22
    Fax: +377 98 98 81 55
    Open: Monday to Friday 09:30-17:00


La Poste in Monaco offers a mail forwarding service. For more details: Click here (in French)

Vehicles and Driving

Monegasque driving plates do not follow the format of driving plates in EU countries, so when driving outside France, a Monegasque (MC) oval registration sticker will have to be placed on the car. As a general rule a maximum of three months is allowed before the vehicle should be registered in a new place of residence, and the Monegasque plates given up.


By treaty, Monaco shares its border regulations with France under a customs union. As such, the rules for moving pets out of Monaco are the same as those applied to moving pets out of France - and though Monaco is not a member or the European Union, France is.

Depending on the destination, some animals may require a period of quarantine. They will almost certainly require documentation and possible additional vaccinations or similar medical treatment.

Most domestic pets require documentation before they can travel. The EU pet passport covers dogs, cats and ferrets for movement within Europe and the Pets Travel Scheme (PETS) allows qualifying domestic pets to travel to and from the UK without a period of quarantine.

Be aware that sudden outbreaks of diseases (such as avian flu) can affect pet travel. As a general rule, animals have to travel in approved containers and by approved routes.

The French Customs Authority provides clear information on the regulations for travelling with domestic mammals, fish, amphibians, birds, rodents and reptiles.

If there is any doubt about vaccinations and passports for your pets, consult a vet well before departure. Alternatively, embassy websites are a good source of information.