Setting Up Home

Moving in? Information on the essential services in Germany and how to get them connected to your home...

When moving into a house or apartment it is necessary to set up a connection to all utilities. Proof of residency (polizeiliche Anmeldung) will usually be required.

Rented accommodation in Germany generally has two types of rent: "warm" and "cold"

  • Cold rent (Kaltmiete) is the basic rent only with no additional costs included
  • Warm rent (Warmmiete) includes additional costs such as water, property tax, chimney sweeping, street cleaning and waste disposal services. In some cases it includes costs for electricity and gas supply.
  • For more information: Click here (in German)