There are a few more organisational elements that you should bear in mind when planning to move away from Germany...

Additional Things to Consider


Anyone who registered with their Embassy on arrival now needs to advise them that they are moving on.

  • British citizens will find information on the government website: Click here
  • Australians should consult their government site: Click here
  • Information for Canadian citizens: Click here

Local Authorities

All foreigners in Germany must register with the local authorities in their place of residence. This is done at the town hall with the Einwohnermeldeamt or Bürgeramt. Once the formalities have been completed a registration card is issued (Polizeiliche Anmeldebestätigung).

Before leaving Germany, foreigners must deregister. To do this, visit the local authorities and complete the relevant paperwork. Some cities allow the paperwork to be completed online to save queuing. The form is known as the Abmeldungsformulare.

  • Find out if online deregistration is available in a particular area by visiting the registration authority's (Meldeaemter) website: Click here (in German)


Give schools a reasonable amount of notice of a child's departure. There may be outstanding bills for school fees, transport or meals to be settled.

On registration at a new school in the new country, a parent may be asked for a certificate stating the latest grade passed by the child. Request this from the school when giving notice of departure. Schools will normally be happy to provide a summary of a child's progress and up-to-date test results.

Leave a forwarding address for any correspondence.


A redirection service is available from the German post office (Deutsche Post). This service can be requested at a post office or online.

  • For the German post office website: Click here (in German)
  • For the online redirection service: Click here (in German)


Dogs in Germany must be registered at the local town hall and dog tax (Hundesteuer) must be paid. Before leaving Germany with a dog, advise the town hall of your move so that they may update their records.

Depending on the destination, some animals may require a period of quarantine. Their move will almost certainly require documentation and possible additional vaccinations or similar medical treatment.

The EU pet passport covers dogs, cats and ferrets for movement within Europe and the Pets Travel Scheme (PETS) allows qualifying domestic pets to travel to and from the UK without a period of quarantine. There is a waiting period after vaccination before a vet can carry out blood tests and issue a passport. Local vets can provide information and documentation.

Travelling to other EU destinations with pets with passports (cats, dogs and ferrets) is relatively straightforward but relocating to a non-EU country will be more complicated. It is best to contact the embassy in the new country of residence for up to date information.

As a general rule, animals have to travel in approved containers and by approved routes. Be aware that sudden outbreaks of diseases (such as avian flu) can affect pet travel. Embassy websites are also good sources of information.

The German Customs Information Centre can give advice in English if required.

  • For contact information for the German Customs Information Centre: Click here



Membership contracts, such as those of fitness centres and pay television, tend to clearly stipulate the requirements of cancellation. Often, proof of relocation is required in order to cancel a contract. This could be in the form of the rental cancellation of an immediate residence, a new employment contract or proof of registration from the Foreigner Registration Office ( Auslanderbehorde) in a new town/city if someone is relocating within Germany. It is advisable to always give notice in writing and to use registered mail if the cancellation letter is sent by post.

Related Information