Local Administration Offices in Munich 

Contact information for local administrative offices - the Kreisverwaltung - in Munich, where new arrivals must register.

People intending to reside in Munich will need to register with the local authorities within one week of arrival. If coming from outside of the EU, it will be necessary to get a visa, possibly prior to arrival. Registration is required in order to open a bank account and to be able to work as a legal resident of Germany. The local authority offices (Kreisverwaltung) have an Ausländerbehörde or Ausländeramt (office or department for foreigners living in Germany) where the Anmeldebescheinigung (registration certification) can be issued.

A passport, proof of address and any other documentation will be needed.

When moving from one residence to another, the authorities need to be notified of the change and if leaving Germany the office must be notified of departure (abmelden).

Within one week of moving to Munich, residents must register with the local authority (Kreisverwaltungsreferat, KVR) in Munich (at the Bürgerbüro):

The city of Munich website has general information on moving to the city.