Civil Partnerships in Gibraltar

Information on civil partnerships for same-sex and heterosexual couples in Gibraltar...

Civil partnerships in Gibraltar are available for heterosexual and homosexual couples. As with marriage, non-resident couples must obtain a special licence in order to enter into a civil partnership.

Resident couples intending to enter into a civil partnership must give at least 21 days’ notice to the registrar.

Before a licence will be granted, non-resident couples must prove that they will stay in Gibraltar at least the night before or the night of the civil partnership ceremony. Acceptable forms of proof include:

  • A hotel bill
  • A hotel booking form
  • An attestation by a Gibraltar resident that the couple will stay with them as a guest
  • Another form of proof that will satisfy the registrar

When submitting the documents for a special licence, the couple must make an appointment for the civil partnership ceremony, submitting the required documentation in person or via email or post. If original documents are not available, certified copies carrying the seal of the original issuer are accepted. Certified true copies of the original, authenticated by a notary public or other certification official, are also acceptable. If not submitting originals (or certified copies or certified true copies), couples should keep in mind that the appointment for the ceremony can be made, but the original documents must be presented to the registrar before the special licence will be issued.

Documents required to obtain a special licence to enter into a civil partnership

Single persons (never married or never entered into a civil partnership):

  • Passport or national identity card or other acceptable identification
  • Full birth certificate

Widows/widowers/surviving partners:

  • Passport or national identity card or other acceptable identification
  • Full birth certificate
  • Marriage or civil partnership certificate from previous marriage/partnership
  • Death certificate of late spouse

Previously married individuals and individuals who were previously in a civil partnership:

  • Passport or national identity card or other acceptable identification
  • Full birth certificate
  • Final and absolute divorce decree or certificate of annulment from previous marriage; or a certificate of dissolution of a civil partnership

For those who have changed their name, proof of name change is required.

Other documents may be required by the registrar.

Once the required documents are submitted, a reservation can be made for the ceremony. Payment is required to make the booking. Between 3 months and 1 day before the ceremony is to take place, the couple must appear at the registry office with the original documents before 12:45 to obtain the special licence.

Note: It may be necessary to provide transportation for the registrar if the civil partnership ceremony takes place outside of the registry office.