Visiting Museums and Monuments in Gibraltar
Information about Gibraltar's only museum as well as details of the territory's military heritage...
There is only one museum in Gibraltar, The Gibraltar Museum, but there are also many sites of historic interest to visit, the majority of which are related to Gibraltar's military history.
The Gibraltar museum features exhibits demonstrating the territory's history over the last 30,000 years. Highlights of the museum include sections dedicated to the Rock, featuring Phoenician and Carthaginian collections, a section dedicated to the natural history of Gibraltar, mediaeval artefacts and displays of marine species found around Gibraltar’s coastline. There is also an art gallery in honour of Gibraltar's most famous painter, Gustavo Bacarisas. Temporary exhibitions are regularly hosted at the museum.
Military Heritage Centre
The Military Heritage Centre is a small underground exhibition centre, also known as Princess Caroline’s Battery, after the name of King George II’s third daughter. It was built in 1732 and displays some of the weapons and other items used by the British during the Great Siege of 1779.
To the south of the city walls and adjacent to the Southport Gate is the Trafalgar Cemetery. It is named after the Battle of Trafalgar, although there are only two victims of the Battle buried there.
Great Siege Tunnels
The Great Siege Tunnels were dug out by the British at the end of the 18th century during the Great Siege of Gibraltar. Covering a distance of 277m, they were excavated from limestone.
The tunnels can be accessed either by walking up from the town or by going down from the top station of the cable car. Tickets purchased can be used for the Great Siege Tunnels, St Michael’s Caves and the Moorish Castle.
- Open: Daily 09:30–19:15
World War II Tunnels
The World War II tunnels were built to serve as air raid shelters and to house an underground hospital. They were also used to store food, equipment and ammunition. These tunnels, built during the 18th, 19th and 20th centuries, cover a distance of approximately 55 Km.
The tunnels are located a short walk from the Moorish Castle in the Upper Rock Nature reserve.
- Open: Daily 09:30–19:15
Founded in 1793 by Captain Drinkwater, this library was established for the officers of the Garrison and houses approximately 45,000 books, some of which are very rare. In addition to its local history collection and archives of the Gibraltar Chronicle, there are also lithographs and art prints. There are tours of the library each Friday, and the building can also be hired for social events and weddings.
The British War memorial, also known as the Gibraltar War Memorial, is situated on Line Wall Road on the steps west of the City Hall. Next to it are two Russian guns dating back to the Crimean War.
The American War Memorial is also known as the American Steps or the Naval Monument of Gibraltar. It was built in 1933 to commemorate the success of the alliance of the United States and the United Kingdom during the Great War. In addition there is a bronze plaque that commemorates the World War II Allied invasion of North Africa.
Other sites of interest include the 100 Ton Gun at Napier of Magdala Battery and O’Hara’s Battery, which was built in 1890 on the highest point of The Rock. It was used during the Second World War to defend the Straits of Gibraltar. The artillery battery can be reached by a walk of approximately ten minutes from the top cable car station to the South End of the Upper Rock Nature Reserve.
- Find out more about Gibraltar's military heritage