Exchanging a Foreign Driving Licence

Information on who can exchange their driving licence for a Gibraltar one, and the steps to follow if you have to exchange your licence...

The authority responsible for the issuing of driving licences in Gibraltar is the Driver & Vehicle Licensing Department.

The process of exchanging a licence from an EU country for licence for a Gibraltar licence can be done voluntarily. If a traffic offence has been committed that needs to be logged against the licence, the licence must be exchanged for a Gibraltar one.

EU Citizens

An EU driving licence holder must have been resident in Gibraltar for at least 185 days in the last year in order to exchange their driving licence. To apply for the exchange, the following documents are required:

  • Completed application form, also available from the Motor Vehicle Test Centre on Eastern Beach Road
  • Completed signature form (PDF)
  • Two recent passport-sized photos
  • Medical certificate issued within the last 6 months (if over 70 years of age or applying for a category C and D or F to J licence)
  • Further information is available on the Gibraltar government website

Non-EU citizens

Non- EU citizens who are resident in Gibraltar are unable to exchange their non-EU licence for a Gibraltar licence. In order for non-EU citizens to obtain a Gibraltar licence they must apply to take the two-part test in the territory. This can only be done if they have been resident and in possession of an ID card for at least six months.

Licence Validity

The EU-style licence must be renewed every 15 years. Category C and D licences are valid for 5 years.

The driving licence entitlement expires after 70 years of age at which point the entitlement must be renewed every three years. This is done by submitting a recent medical certificate to the Driver & Vehicle Licensing Department that deems stating that the person is fit to drive.