Electricity and Home Appliances in Greece

Find out how to get connected to Greek electricity suppliers...

Greece's standard electricity supply is 220 volts AC with a frequency of 50 hertz. For other equipment, a transformer or adaptor is required, unless the appliance has a multi-voltage option.

Main Electricity Provider

The Public Power Corporation - PPC (Δημόσια Επιχείρηση Ηλεκτρισμού - DEH) manages the power supply in Greece. The PPC website has information in English on the electricity tariffs, bill paying, off-peak services, outages, power increase, contract termination or succession and energy saving.

Getting connected/disconnected

When moving in to a property, a Power Supply Contract must be signed at the nearest DEH office. A connection cannot be set up online or by telephone.

The following documents are required:

  • AFM/Tax Identification Number (Αριθμός Φορολογικού Μητρώου - AΦΜ)
  • Proof of identity
  • Property rental or purchase contract
  • A recent electricity bill from the previous tenant/owner or the service number on the electricity meter
  • Certificate issued by a licensed Electrical Installer with an electric plan of the property (if the previous one was submitted to the DEH more than 14 years before)

Generally, the connection process is managed more quickly if the departing occupant and the new occupant go to the DEH office together. This ensures that the power supply is not cut off.

When signing the Power Supply Contract, customers must also pay an amount against future consumption. The amount paid depends on the size of the property and the type of service, and will be included in the first bill.

When moving out of a property, customers must complete a "request for service disconnection" at a local DEH office a few days before they leave the property. An appointment for meter reading can also be scheduled. Once the service has been disconnected, a final bill is issued and sent to the new address. The amount due is based on actual consumption, minus the amount paid when signing the contract. A refund is provided, if appropriate.

  • For further information on connecting and disconnecting electricity: Click here


Bills are issued in Greek, every two months. They include small charges for local taxes and the television licence fee.

Electricity bills can be paid:

  • at DEH offices
  • by standing order
  • at Automated Teller Machines (ATM)
  • via the Internet (e-banking service)
  • at post offices
  • at authorised pay stations, for example PRO-PO and lottery stores, as well as at supermarkets

If payment is not made before the date indicated on the bill, the electricity supply may be cut off. Customers will need to go to a local DEH office to reconnect the service.

Bills are based on an estimation of consumption, and meters are read three times a year.

Off-peak electricity tariffs

Domestic electricity bills can be reduced by obtaining an off-peak electricity rate. There are two types of off-peak rates available, continuous supply and mixed (segmented). Continuous supply is available to customers in certain areas and to those who signed up for off-peak tariffs before 1988. Rates are reduced between 23:00-07:00. Mixed supply allows reduced rates between 23:00-07:00 from May to October, and between 15:30-17:50 and 02:00-08:00 from November to April.

Note: times may vary in certain areas.

To benefit from off-peak tariffs, fill in an application form at a DEH office. The following documents are required:

  • Recent electricity bill
  • A certificate from a certified electrician stating that the additional service wire has been installed

A fee must be paid to switch to this service.

Power Outages

During peak usage periods, such as hot days when air conditioners are overloading the power company's systems, or during storms, particularly when there are high winds, power outages can occur. In addition, power surges are common in some areas. A power surge-protector is recommended to protect appliances (computers, TVs, fax machines) when the power supply is resumed.

Plugs and Sockets

Greece uses the standard European two-pin plug and socket.

Smaller appliances, such as lamps and electric razors, have a simple plug, while washing machines and other larger appliances have a grounded plug (SUKO). Most houses are wired so that all outlets accommodate the grounded plugs.

For appliances with foreign plugs, adapters can be bought or the plug can be changed. Adapters are available at most large supermarkets in tourist destinations, and electrical shops and DIY stores also usually stock them. Appliances from the US require both an adapter and a transformer as the voltage in the US is 110 and 60 hertz.

Light Bulbs

Greece uses both standard screw-type fittings and bayonet fittings. Energy-efficient bulbs are also gaining popularity.