Animals Coming to Greece from Outside the EU

Find out how to import a pet to Greece from outside the European Union...

An animal entering Greece from a non-EU country that has the same rabies controls will need to prove that the anti-rabies booster vaccinations are valid and up-to-date.

  • For a list of complying countries see the EUROPA website: Click here

Animals from countries not included on the list need to have complete anti-rabies treatment. The Greek Embassy in the country from which the animal is travelling should be consulted.

Dogs, cats and ferrets imported to Greece for non-commercial purposes will also need to be accompanied by a health certificate, signed by an official veterinarian or the competent authority.

  • A model health certificate form can be downloaded from the EUROPA website: Click here

Rabbits, birds and rodents may travel without a passport, but should be accompanied by a veterinary health certificate.

Reptiles, amphibians, ornamental tropical fish, spiders and invertebrates (except bees and crustaceans) may be permitted entry into Greece, for non-commercial purposes, without a veterinary health certificate.

The health certificate is valid for intra-community movement for four months from the date of issue, however, if the animal will be entering Finland, Ireland, Malta, Sweden or the United Kingdom, proof of echinococcosis treatment and a rabies serological text will need to be provided on the form

Entry of pets is only allowed at authorised Border Inspection Posts.

Moving pets to Greece from the United States or Canada

Animals from the USA and Canada may enter Greece if they have:

  • a valid Veterinary Certificate (stating owner's details, a description of the animal, details of identification and vaccinations)
  • valid rabies vaccines
  • a tattoo (only accepted in the EU until 3 July 2011) or a microchip (compatible with standard ISO 11784 or annex A ISO standard 11785)

The cage or carrier must be labelled with the owners name, and their (or a nominated person's) address and contact numbers in Greece.

Once in Greece, a Greek vet can issue an EU Pet Passport, allowing travel within Europe.

  • The Canadian Food Inspection Agency website has further information: Click here
  • Further information from the American Embassy in Athens: Click here