Consular Services for Foreign Residents of Greece

Information about the consular services available and the embassies present for citizens from the UK, USA, Canada and Australia in Greece...

Foreign embassies exist to represent their nation to their host country nationals, providing information and services on trade, tourism and culture in the home state. All embassies have a consular section, which provides information and services to its own nationals visiting or living in the host country.

Many country consulates recommend that citizens report their arrival so that their names can be added to a citizens' register.

Citizens of the USA, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Canada and Australia living in Greece can access information from the Consular sections of their relevant Embassies.

Click on the appropriate link below to access the home page of each of these embassies in Greece:

UK: British Citizens

The Consular section of the British Embassy in Athens provides help for British nationals living in or travelling to Greece. The website UK in Greece provides information on trade and investment between Greece and the UK, travel advice and advice on living abroad.

Many services are available for British citizens living in or travelling to Greece. These include:

  • Registering births and deaths and issuing certified copies of certificates
  • Certifying documents
  • Providing help for those who are victims of a crime or in hospital
  • Providing contact details of English-speaking doctors and lawyers

UK passports are not issued by the UK Embassy in Athens. Applications for first passports and renewals must be sent to HM Passport Office in the UK at the following address:

USA: American Citizens

The United States Embassy website has up-to-date information for American citizens living in Athens. The US Citizens Service consular section provides passport services, registration of births of American citizens abroad, information on visas, voting from abroad, Federal benefits, adoptions and notary services, as well as offering emergency assistance to American citizens in distress.

There is also information on driving in Greece, marriage in Greece, getting around Greece for the disabled, buying property in Greece and downloadable lists of clubs and associations, funeral homes, churches, Internet cafés and English-speaking doctors, dentists and lawyers.

Irish Citizens

The Embassy of Ireland in Greece provides help and advice in emergency situations to Irish citizens resident or travelling in Greece, Albania and Serbia. The website provides information on travel between Ireland and Greece and has a section for Irish citizens living and working in Greece.

  • Embassy of Ireland
    : 7 Leof. Vas. Konstantinou, 106 74 Athens
    Tel: 210 7232 771-2
    Fax: 210 7293 383

Services provided by the Irish Embassy include:

  • Passport services
  • Visa Services
  • Authentication of documents
  • Issuing of the "Letter of no Impediment" (Certificats de Coutume), required by Irish citizens marrying in Greece. For more details visit the Embassy of Ireland’s marriage abroad page.

Canadian Citizens

The Canadian Embassy website has useful checklists and notes for Canadian citizens planning a move to, or living in Greece. Information includes advice on preparing for travel, doing business in Greece, registering births, emergency services and what to do when returning to Canada.

  • Canadian Embassy
    : 4, Ioannou Ghennadiou Street, 115 21 Athens 
    Tel: 210 727 3400
    Fax: 210 727 3480

Australian Citizens

The Australian Embassy website has much information for Australians living in Greece on getting married, exchanging an Australian driving licence and on Greek medical and health matters. On request, the Embassy provides a list of English-speaking doctors and lawyers.

  • Australian Embassy
    : Level 6, Thon Building, Cnr Kifisias and Alexandras Ave, Ambelokipi, Athens 
    Tel: 210 870 4000
    Fax: 210 870 4111

New Zealand Citizens

New Zealanders in Greece are represented by the New Zealand Embassy in Rome, which is also accredited to Bosnia-Herzegovina, Croatia, Cyprus, Malta, Portugal, and Slovenia.