Driving Licence Application

What to do if you would like to apply for a Greek driver's licence, including the documents required...

Candidates must be at least 18 years old to learn to drive a car in a driving school. In most cases, the driving school takes care of all paper work and arranges exams.

Applicants must:

  • Be ordinarily resident in Greece, and be able to prove this
  • Not hold another licence for the same category issued in Greece, the EU or EEA
  • Meet minimum intellectual and physical requirements for the category being tested
  • Have passed the theoretical and practical tests
Licence Categories and Age Restrictions

The age restrictions for the most common types of licence in Greece are as follows:

  • AM (mopeds with a design speed of over 25 Km/h and under 45 Km/h): 16 years
  • A1 (motorcycles with a cylinder capacity not exceeding 125cc): 18 years
  • A2: (motorcycles not exceeding 35 kW): 20 years
  • B1 (four-wheeled light vehicles): 18 years
  • B (cars), 18 years
  • C1 (medium-sized vehicles) 18 years
Documents Required
  • Application form
  • Photocopy of Greek identity card or passport, which must show the applicant's date of birth
  • Non-Greek nationals must supply a certified photocopy of proof of residence: either a Residency Permit or Residence Certificate. This must have been issued at least 95 days (for EU or EEA nationals) or 185 days (for others) before the application is submitted and must still be valid on the day of reception of the Greek licence
  • Two health certificates, one from a general practitioner and one from an ophthalmologist, and proof of payment of the medical certificates from the National Bank of Greece (Ethniki Trapeza/Εθνικι Τραπεζα). Both of these doctors must be under contract to the transport ministry
  • Two recent passport-sized colour photographs
  • Proof of payment of fees at the local Tax Office
  • A photocopy of any driving licence that applicant already holds, and presentation of the original

Applications must be submitted to the local Transport and Communications Department or at a local Citizen Service Centre (KEP).

  • To find a local Citizen Service Centre anywhere in Greece: Click here
  • For further information from the Ministry of Transport: Click here