Driving Licences and Vehicle Tax in Greece

An overview of the licence and tax regulations you can expect when driving in Greece...

A driving licence (Άδειας Οδήγησης/Adeia odigisis) not issued in Greece might be valid, depending on the following:

  1. An EU-issued driving licence can usually be used for the duration of its validity.
  2. A licence issued in a country which has a licence exchange agreement with Greece may be used for a set period, at which point an exchange becomes obligatory.
  3. A licence issued by a non-complying country is not valid for use in Greece after 185 days of residency in the country.
  4. An Australian-issued licence may be used for as long as it remains valid, providing it is accompanied by an International Driver's Licence (IDL).

Licences issued in countries outside the EU/EEA should be carried with an International Driving Licence/Permit (IDL/IDP). An international licence does not replace a driver's licence - it accompanies it and acts as an official certificate of validity of the national licence. It is an internationally recognised document.

Vehicle Tax

An annual vehicle tax (Τέλη κυκλοφορίας/Teli Kykloforias) must be paid. The amount due depends on the engine power of the car. From 2013, road tax stickers (Σήμα Τέλων κυκλοφορίας/Sima Telon Kykloforias, known just as Σήμα/Sima) are no longer in use.

Road tax is paid online using the TAXISnet system. Vehicle owners will need a personal TAXISnet code or their tax registration number (AFM) in order to renew the road tax for their vehicle. The TAXISnet system is currently only available in Greek.