How to buy a used car in Greece, with details on the documents that may be required...
There are a number of websites, magazines and newspapers (mostly in Greek) that advertise used cars for sale in Greece. A secondhand car is called a μεταχειρισμένων αυτοκινήτων
in Greek, pronounced 'meta-cheiris-ménon afto-kiníton'.
Before buying a car, a buyer can take a used car to a mechanic to be checked (for a small fee).
When buying a secondhand car, the following documents are required for the transfer of ownership and registration:
- Certified copy of proof of identity of both the buyer and seller
- KTEO document (MOT) from the seller
- Proof of circulation tax payment
- Documentation of receipt of payment by the seller (an invoice marked paid)
- Request for transfer and registration of the car ownership (document Aitisi)
- Vehicle registration document, certified by the local tax office proving that the annual vehicle tax has been paid
- Power of attorney, if registration is carried out by a third party
- Foreign citizens need to provide their Residence Permit (Aδεια παραμονης)
- Registration fee
The documents are submitted to the local Citizen Service Centre
(Κεντρο Εξυπηρετησης Πολιτων
). The buyer will be notified once the documents are ready for collection.
Documents can also be submitted to The Ministry of Transport and Communications
Car insurance should be taken out before registration of the vehicle.
has details on how to transfer ownership of a second hand vehicle
The Europa website
has advice on buying a car abroad - Greece