Moving House in Hong Kong

Make sure you carry out these essential tasks when moving house in Hong Kong...

Moving house always requires much planning and preparation. Here are some tips and points about what must be done, and when. Remember to notify employers, banks, schools, satellite or cable TV companies and any shops with which an account is held.

Hong Kong ID Cards (HKID)

The Immigration Department should be informed of a change of address. Notification is done via form ROP18.

Form ROP18 may also be picked up at any of the following Registration of Persons offices:

  • 8/F, Immigration Tower, 7 Gloucester Road, Wan Chai, Hong Kong
  • 3/F, Cheung Sha Wan Government Offices, 303 Cheung Sha Wan Road, Kowloon
  • Shop Nos. 25-35 & 43-45, Ground Floor, Wharf T&T Square, 123 Hoi Bun Road, Kwun Tong
  • Shops 405 & 406, 4/F, Jubilee Court Shopping Centre, 2-18 Lok King Street, Fo Tan
  • Shop B, G/F, Manhattan Plaza, 23 Sai Ching Street, Yuen Long

The form may be sent by email, post or fax to:

  • Commissioner of Registration
    At: Immigration Tower, 7 Gloucester Road, Wan Chai, Hong Kong
    Fax: 2824 1133

Other Governmental Departments

The Hong Kong government provides an online Easy Change of Address Service to allow residents to inform all governmental departments and commercial companies of any change of address.

  • For the Easy Change of Address Service: Click here

The change of address notification procedure is very simple:

  • Enter personal details
  • Select the government departments or companies to notify
  • Enter the specific information for each company or department
  • Confirm and submit

The site also provides online applications to the Inland Revenue, Official Receiver's Office, Rating and Valuation Department, Registration and Electoral Office and the Transport Department.

Utilities Companies

Most of the public utility providers offer online services which make it easy to close, transfer, or open accounts at a new address.


The Water Authority should be informed 14 days prior to the date the account is to be closed. The final bill will be sent three days after the final meter reading, and any outstanding charges will be deducted from the deposit, if applicable.

  • The Water Authority
    At: 43/F Immigration Tower, 7 Gloucester Road, Wan Chai, Hong Kong
    Tel: 2824 5000
    Fax: 2802 7333

There are several Customer Enquiry Centres for those who wish to visit in person:

  • Wan Chai Customer Enquiry Centre
    : 1st Floor, Immigration Tower, 7 Gloucester Road, Wan Chai
  • Mong Kok Customer Enquiry Centre
    At: Ground Floor, 128 Sai Yee Street, Mong Kok
  • Sha Tin Customer Enquiry Centre
    At: 3rd Floor, Sha Tin Government Offices, 1 Sheung Wo Che Road, Sha Tin
  • Tai Po Customer Enquiry Centre
    At: 4th Floor, Tai Po Government Offices, 1 Ting Kok Road, Tai Po Market
  • Tuen Mun Customer Enquiry Centre
    At: 7th Floor, Tuen Mun Government Offices, 1 Tuen Hi Road, Tuen Mun


Towngas: An Account Transfer form in PDF file format can be downloaded from the Towngas website. Two working days' notice is required and a technician will make the final meter reading. The deposit, if applicable, will be applied against any outstanding balance due on the final statement, and the balance refunded by cheque, together with the final statement.

There are numerous Customer Service Centres throughout Hong Kong, Kowloon and the New Territories. See the website for details.


Hong Kong Electric Company: Notify HK Electric of a change of address within Hong Kong (or to terminate an account) by completing an online form. Allow at least two working days. Return the deposit receipt, if any, either by post, in which case a cheque will be issued within five working days, or at a customer service centre in exchange for cash. The deposit can also be refunded directly into a bank account.

  • Hong Kong Electric Company
    : 9/F Electric Centre, 28 City Garden Road, North Point, Hong Kong
    24-hour Emergency Hotline: 2555 4000
    Customer Services: 2887 3411 (office hours)
    Fax: 2510 7667
  • To request a transfer of account online: Click here

CLP Power: Requests to terminate or change an account must be made at least two working days beforehand. A termination of electricity account form can be downloaded from the CLP website. The deposit, if applicable, may be refunded either in cash at a customer service centre, by cheque within five working days or through Electronic Fund Transfer to a bank account.

There are nine CLP Power Customer Service Centres in Kowloon and the New Territories.

  • CLP Power
    At: 13/F 6 On Lai Street, Shatin, New Territories
    24-hour Customer Info Line: 2678 2678
    24-hour Emergency Hotline: 2728 8333

Telephone and Internet service provider

PCCW customers can move within Hong Kong and retain the existing telephone number. PCCW requires at least seven days' notice via the 24-hour sales hotline:

  • Tel: 2888 0008

Hutchinson Global Communications has a downloadable form for notification of a move within Hong Kong.

The form should then be sent by fax:

  • Fax: 1221

Redirection of Mail Service

Hong Kong Post provides a mail redirection service for three months, which can be extended for up to one year. There is a charge for this service, and five working days' notice is required. An application must be signed by all family members/residents aged 11 and above. A Hong Kong ID or passport number is required for each person. For children under 11, it is sufficient to write the word "CHILD" in the ID box of the form. Applications can be submitted at a postal counter or sent by post.

  • To download the form: Click here
  • To find a local Post Office: Click here
  • Mail Redirection Section, General Post Office
    At: 2 Connaught Place, Central, Hong Kong
    : 2921 2222

Original ID documents plus a copy of each are needed. If applying by post, send a copy of each applicant's ID plus a copy of proof of the former address of the principal applicant, such as a utility bill from the current or previous month. After processing, these copies will be returned to the principal applicant.

Driving Licences

Holders of a Hong Kong driving licence must inform the Commissioner for Transport in writing of their change of address within 72 hours. Failure to do so will result in a fine.

  • Form TD559 can be downloaded here

Send it to:

  • Kwun Tong Licensing Office
    : PO Box 69511, Kwun Tong Post Office, Kowloon

Or take it in person to one of the following offices:

  • Hong Kong Licensing Office
    At: 3/F, United Centre, 95 Queensway, Hong Kong
  • Kowloon Licensing Office
    : 2/F, Cheung Sha Wan Government Offices, 303 Cheung Sha Wan Road, Kowloon
  • Licensing Office
    : 5/F, Kowloon East Government Office, 12 Lei Yue Mun Road, Kowloon
  • Sha Tin Licensing Office
    : 2/F, Sha Tin Government Offices, 1 Sheung Wo Che Road, Sha Tin, New Territories

Insurance Documents

Home Insurance Contents policy can be transferred from one address in Hong Kong to another. To change the details the required information is:

  • the new address
  • the gross floor area of the new apartment
  • the moving date
  • any further changes to contents