Mobile Telephones

Find out how to get yourself a mobile cellular phone in Hong Kong...

A Hong Kong ID card or passport and proof of residence is needed for a mobile telephone contract, but not for a prepaid SIM card.

Many of the fixed line providers also provide mobile services:

Other mobile telephone providers include:

  • SmarTone-Vodafone
    : 31/F JS Tower, Millennium City II, 378 Kwun Tong Road, Kwun Tong, Kowloon
    Tel: 2880 2688 or 2281 8888
  • Hong Kong CSL Limited

    At: Unit 501-8 5/F, Cyberport 3, 100 Cyberport Road, Hong Kong
    Tel: 2883 4668
    Hong Kong CSL Limited has three brands each with their own contact numbers:

    • 1010 - Tel: 2888 1010
    • One2Free - Tel: 2512 3123
    • New World Mobility - Tel: 178 178

The Hong Kong mobile phone system allows people to keep telephone numbers even when switching providers. There is no need to notify the existing provider, as the new provider will handle the cancellation when transferring the number. This applies to long-term telephone contracts as well as prepaid SIM cards, so non-residents who started using prepaid cards can retain their telephone number even when switching to a long-term contract.

Lost or stolen mobile telephones

Many mobile telephone providers offer Auto Phonebook Back Up services, ensuring that all stored data may be retrieved in the case of a lost or stolen phone.

All mobile phones have a unique code, the IMEI (International Mobile Equipment Identity) code. This belongs to the handset and is associated with a card, the SIM (Subscriber Identification Module) card, which holds the telephone number assigned to a customer.

  • The SIM card holds the telephone number and memory. Access can be protected by personalising the card with a 4-digit PIN number
  • An IMEI number (International Mobile Equipment Identity). This is a mobile telephone's unique identification number

The IMEI number provides protection if a phone is lost or stolen. The IMEI code is clearly shown on the paperwork at the time of purchase. Note it down and keep it separate from the mobile. Or to find the IMEI number, enter: *#06# on the keypad.

The loss or theft of a mobile cell phone must be reported to the service provider. They will need the IMEI number or details of the SIM card. The service will be suspended and the telephone blocked making it impossible for anyone else to use it, and the phone may be traced. The owner is responsible for payment of any calls made until the SIM is blocked unless they have taken out insurance with the supplier.