Citizen Guides for Foreign Residents of Hong Kong

Consulates provide services for citizens in need, including replacement of lost or stolen passports and help and advice in difficult situations...

Citizens of the USA, United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, Ireland and New Zealand living in Hong Kong can access information from the consular offices of their relevant Embassies. Most consulates recommend that its citizens register with the consulate when arriving to live in a new country.

US Citizens

The Consulate General of the United States has a comprehensive website from which US citizens living in Hong Kong and Macau can obtain travel warnings and information for travelling around the region as well as the latest US policies and issues. Services provided by the Consulate includes renewing and page extension for passports, income tax instructions, overseas voter information and documentation for marriage, birth, divorce and death. For non-US citizens, there is a section for visa applications. Most forms can be downloaded.

UK Citizens

The British Consulate-General in Hong Kong provides news on cultural and educational activities and programmes for its citizens living in the territory. The website provides information on passport services, travel safety, notarial services, and has a section on living in Hong Kong.

Consular Help for EU Nationals

Under EU law, an EU citizen is entitled to consular help from any EU consular representation abroad if their own country is not represented locally. This applies outside the EU to EU citizens who are either residing or travelling abroad. Any EU Embassy or Consulate must provide help to an EU citizen under the same conditions as they would their nationals.

Information on the type of help available and details to foreign consulates and Embassies can be found on the European Commission's website, Consular Protection for EU Citizens.

  • For further information from the European Commission: Click here
  • For information about the situations in which a Consulate or Embassy should provide help: Click here

Canadian Citizens

The Consulate General of Canada provides consular services and reference information to its citizens on matters including Canadian identification, replacement citizenship cards, birth and marriage registration and Canadian driver's licences. It also has legal services and tax and travel information and information on what to do in the event of arrest and detention. The website is linked to the official Canadian government website.

Australian Citizens

The Australian Consulate-General assists its citizens with a range of services including travel advisories, bulletins, insurance, tips and health. Aside from travel information, the consulate provides passport and visa services and certification for marriage, deaths and births. The consulate website has information regarding importing motor vehicles to Australia, taking cats and dogs back and links to Australian government departments.

New Zealand Citizens

The New Zealand Consulate General gives general advice and assistance to its citizens on matters including lost personal property, hospitalisation, repatriation, arrest and detention and evacuation. Other services include assistance with official declarations and verification of documents, and translation from Chinese to English. The Consulate issues emergency travel documents and passports.

Irish Citizens

The Consulate of Ireland in Hong Kong provides assistance and passport services to Irish citizens living in Hong Kong or Macau.

  • Consulate of Ireland
    At: c/o Heidrick & Struggles, Suite 1408, Two Pacific Place, 88 Queensway, Hong Kong
    Tel: 2527 4897
    Fax: 2824 9127 / 2519 8411

Further Information