Dependants and Their Rights

Information for the children and spouses of Hong Kong residents, including their education and permission to work...

Dependent children do not need permission to study in Hong Kong.

Once they finish full-time education and wish to work they should approach the Immigration Department again to ensure that any restrictions which may initially have applied to them (for example a restriction against working) when an ID card was issued is removed. This is usually a formality.

Since May 2006, dependant wives and husbands no longer need to apply for permission to work, but again they should check with the Immigration Department first and see that there are no restrictions attached to their ID card.

  • For comprehensive information on entry for residence as dependants in Hong Kong: Click here