Voting in Hong Kong Elections

Information on voting in District Council elections or Legislative Council elections, with details on how to register to vote in Hong Kong...

Permanent residents of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR), regardless of their citizenship, are eligible to be registered to vote in a geographical constituency for either District Council elections or Legislative Council elections. They must be resident in Hong Kong and have reached the age of 18. They must also hold an identity document, such as a Hong Kong permanent identity card and not be subject to any disqualification from registration.

  • For enquiries regarding permanent resident status, call the Immigration Department hotline - Tel: 2824 6111

How to Register

Registration application forms are available from District Offices and Post Offices and the Registration and Electoral Office or by download from the Registration and Electoral Office. Registration can also be made online via the Electronic Service Delivery (ESD).

  • To download the application form from the Registration and Electoral Office: Click here
  • Register online with the ESD: Click here
  • The Registration and Electoral Office
    At: 10/ F Harbour Centre, 25 Harbour Road, Wan Chai, Hong Kong
    Tel: 2891 1001
    Fax: 2891 1180

Where to Vote

Each voter is assigned a designated polling station near their home address as registered in the Final Register of Electors. A poll card showing information about the designated polling station will be issued before polling day.

How to Cast a Vote

Take the Hong Kong Identity card (HKID) card to the designated polling station during polling hours. Present the HKID to the polling staff who will verify the information against the electoral roll.

Voters are given a ballot paper, a writing board and a chop (stamp) bearing a tick. Inside the polling booth, the chop should be stuck on the ballot paper in the circle next to the name of the candidate of choice. Using a pen or other means to mark the ballot paper renders the vote invalid. If a mistake is made when applying the chop onto the ballot paper, it is possible to return it to the Presiding Officer and request a replacement ballot paper.

The ballot paper must be folded once to conceal the marking before putting it into the ballot box.

Further Information