Road Traffic Accidents in Hong Kong

Information on what to do when you have a road traffic accident: who to call and how to fill in the accident report document for insurance after a car crash...

All vehicles in Hong Kong must have at least third party liability insurance. The procedure in the event of a road traffic accident in Hong Kong depends on the severity of the accident, whether there are injuries and if it is necessary for the police to be involved.

What to Do at the Scene of an Accident

  • Stop immediately
  • Warn other traffic using hazard lights and a warning triangle
  • Switch on any other lights that may alert drivers to the accident
  • Do not move injured people unless they are in immediate danger
  • All drivers involved must exchange details, including their registration numbers, insurance details, names and addresses
  • In the event of an accident in a tunnel, contact tunnel control using one of the emergency telephones. Do NOT move the vehicle. The tunnel control centre will contact emergency services if necessary
  • Call the emergency services, and remain at the scene until they arrive

In the Event of a Minor Traffic Accident

In the event of a minor accident with no injuries, the parties involved must exchange details and fill in an Accident Report Form at the scene of the accident. This form should be provided by the motor insurer. If the accident has involved more than two drivers, forms should be completed between each of the involved. All involved must sign the forms unless the parties do not agree on a version of events, in which case the forms should not be signed. The accident report form should be sent to the insurance company within one week.

Minor accidents do not necessarily have to be reported to the police, but it is recommended if liability is disputed. This must be done within 10 days of the accident.

The following documents are necessary to file a police report:

  • Driving licence (original and photocopy)
  • Hong Kong ID card (original)
  • Vehicle registration document (original and photocopy)
  • Vehicle licence (photocopy)
  • Third party risk insurance certificate (original and photocopy)
  • Photos from different angles showing the condition of the damaged vehicle, at least one of which should identify the car licence plate

In the Event of a Serious Traffic Accident

If there have been injuries or fatalities, call the police and ambulance on 999

The motorist must stop the vehicle if any of the following are true:

  • someone is killed or injured
  • there is damage to a vehicle or property
  • an animal (for example a horse, or cow) is killed or injured

The car may be moved if a police officer gives permission or if some form of emergency action is needed. If no one is killed or seriously injured, the vehicle may be moved to a safe place.

After a serious traffic accident the driver must give their name and address, the car owner's name and address, and their registration number to the police. In the case of damage, the accident should be reported to the nearest police station or any police officer within 24 hours.

After reporting the accident to the police, the insurance company should be notified.

The Accident Report Form

The accident report should contain the following details:

  • Date and place of the accident
  • Vehicle information: make, model numbers and vehicle registration numbers
  • Drivers' information: full names, addresses, driving licence details (number, category, date and place of issue)
  • Details of insurers and policies of all drivers
  • Witnesses: names and addresses
  • Any injuries
  • An illustration and explanation of the accident including details of damage caused, with photographs or a sketch

The form should be sent to the insurers within one week.

Pursuing a Civil Claim After a Traffic Accident

Civil claims can be made in the following ways: If the amount of claim is less than the limit referred to in the Small Claims Tribunal Provisions, it is possible to file the suit without the help of a lawyer, although it is advisable to seek legal advice.

  • Small Claims Tribunal
    At: 4/F, Wan Chai Tower, 12 Harbour Road, Wan Chai, Hong Kong
    Tel: 2582 4084 / 2582 4085

Further Information