Higher Education in Hong Kong

Everything you need to know about higher education in Hong Kong

Hong Kong has eight government-funded universities, and more than 10 additional degree awarding bodies. Universities in Hong Kong are ranked highly within the Asian region as well as internationally, with Hong Kong University consistently performing well in global rankings. Classes are taught in both English and Cantonese. Some offers and placements are conditional on obtaining a TEFL/TESOL certificate.

The application system

For students of local schools in Hong Kong, applications are open to those who perform well in the Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education or the Hong Kong Advanced Level Examinations.

Application deadlines run from December to May, and are submitted through the JUPAS system (the Joint University Programmes Admissions System). JUPAS is open to students looking to study a full-time undergraduate degree. The university year generally runs from September to May. 

Admissions for international students 

International students can apply directly through the university in question via their online applications system. Applications will only be accepted with the following supporting documents:

  • A copy of your passport, HKID card or visa
  • Academic transcripts
  • Certified school examination results
  • English language exam results
  • Recommendation from tutors, teachers and/or scholars 

Useful links