Benefits and Allowances in Hungary

Information about the benefits, allowances and support available in Hungary, and who is eligible…

The National Health Insurance Fund (Országos Egészségpénztár) administers cash sickness benefit (táppénz), maternity benefits (TGYÁS) and the child care fee (GYED) (website in Hungarian), whereas the Hungarian State Treasury (Magyar Államkincstár) administers family allowance (családi pótlék) and social child care fee (GYES).

Sickness Benefit

The employed, self-employed and parents caring for sick children are eligible to receive sickness benefit. The family GP or another doctor must assess and certify the illness.

For the first 15 days of sick periods employees in Hungary have to take sick leave (betegszabadság) during which time they receive 70 percent of their salary which is paid for by their employer. After 15 days, if needed, the employee may then receive sickness benefit (táppénz) which is funded jointly by the employer and the Health Insurance Fund (Egészségbiztosítási Alap). This amounts to up to 60 percent of their salary, depending on how long they have contributed to the Health Insurance Fund, but is capped at double the minimum wage.

Maternity Benefits and Family Allowances

  • Pregnancy and Confinement Benefit (Terhességi-gyermekágyi segély – TGYÁS): 70 percent of daily average gross earnings is paid for four weeks before and 20 weeks after the expected date of childbirth or for 24 weeks after the expected date of childbirth, depending on the mother's preference
  • Birth Grant (Anyasági támogatás): this is a one-off lump sum payment of 225 percent of the minimum old-age pension (Öregségi nyugdíj).  Completion of at least four prenatal medical examinations is a prerequisite
  • Child Care Fee (GYED): this is paid after the TGYÁS runs out (normally when the baby is six months) until the child is two years old. The amount is 70 percent of the carer’s daily average gross earnings but it is capped at 70 percent of twice the minimum daily wage. To be eligible, the recipient must have been insured for at least 365 days in the previous two years
  • Child Home Care Allowance (GYES): this is paid to parents who stop working to care for a child younger than age three (age ten if disabled). For those who were unemployed when they gave birth, only GYES is paid from birth until the child turns three
  • Family Allowance (Családi pótlék): this is a universal scheme paid to all residents from birth until the child finishes school (up to the age of 23). The sum received increases if there are more children, if cared for by a single parent, or if the child is disabled
  • Child Raising Support (Gyermeknevelési támogatás): this is for parents who raise three or more children in their own home provided that the youngest child is between three and eight years old and the eldest child is under 18 years of age. The beneficiary is allowed to work outside of the home for no more than 30 hours a week

Further information

  • For more information about family benefits and allowances from the Hungarian State Treasury website: Click here
  • For an explanation of the types of maternity leave in Hungary: Click here (PDF)
  • The forms to claim these benefits are available on the National Health Insurance Fund website but are in Hungarian, so the help of a Hungarian speaker may be required

Unemployment Benefits

  • Job Seeker's Allowance (Álláskeresési járadék): the sum is based on 60 percent of the claimant’s average salary over the previous four years, but it is capped and cannot be more than the official minimum wage
  • Job Seeker's Aid (Nyugdíj el?tti álláskeresési segély): 40 percent of the monthly minimum wage is paid until the beneficiary becomes entitled to an old-age pension

Disability Benefits

Parents of disabled children receive higher benefits and allowances and receive reductions on public transportation.

People with disabilities who receive disability cash benefits are eligible for concessions on public transport and school books. They are also entitled to free or reduced cost school meals. Other concessions may be available, which depend on the local government and the local regulations.