Hungary Administration Offices

Contact information for the national and local administrative centres of Hungary, including where to go for residency papers, vehicle registration papers, driving licences and more...

The Central Office for Administrative and Electronic Public Services oversees the administrative tasks relating to personal documents (passport, driving licence, certificate of good conduct), vehicle administration (vehicle legal status checking, vehicle registration, renewal of periodical technical inspection, ownership booklet) and lost and found documents.


Hungary consists of seven regions, 20 counties and 175 sub-regions for administrative purposes. All of the 175 sub-regions have their own administrative office, which provide the same services as the Central Administration Office. Appointments are usually necessary at these offices.

Issues relating to local law and order, local elections, civil marriages, building permits, road repair and social assistance are the responsibility of the individual communes or municipalities. The Town Hall of each commune is the first reference point for all local and civil issues.

The English-speaking abilities of the staff working at administration offices is generally quite limited, and many foreigners employ the services of companies specialising in making administration tasks easier.


The Office of Immigration and Nationality issues the paperwork for people entering or staying in Hungary. It is responsible for:

  • Citizenship
  • Permission to stay in Hungary
  • Permission to work in Hungary
  • Refuge and asylum
  • Visas

European Economic Area (EEA) and Swiss nationals can apply for a registration certificate which confirms the holder's rights of residence under European law. It is not obligatory. All the necessary application forms can be found on the Office of Immigration and Nationality website.

Further Information

  • - the official Hungarian government website for residents of Hungary