Moving House

Essential tasks to carry out before moving house in Hungary, from letting relevant authorities know of your change of address to arranging mail forwarding…

Moving house in Hungary involves a considerable amount of paperwork. Firstly, the Address Card needs changing at the local Office for Administrative and Electronic Public Services of the new home, and the car's registration papers should be updated there too. A new GP must be contacted, as well as a paediatrician and health visitor if the family has small children. Pets should be registered with the new local vet.

Address Card and Residency Permit

The Address Card (Lakcímkártya) must be changed to the new address at the Office for Administrative and Electronic Public Services (Okmányiroda) of the new locality within three days of moving house.

The following documents are needed:

  • ID card/ passport
  • Previous Address Card
  • The “change of address” (lakcímbejelento lap) document signed by the owner of the house/apartment. This document can be found at the local municipality office. Some offices request a rental agreement, home owners need to provide a title deed certification or purchase agreement

One family member can change the whole family's Address Card.


It is the responsibility of the new user (owner or tenant) to change the name on the bills. The usual process is that the old and the new owner, or the landlord and the tenant make a record of the meter readings, by writing down the address, the exact meter readings and the date. This should then be signed by two witnesses. Generally this document, a passport/ID card and a sales contract/rental agreement are needed to then report a change of user by telephone, mail or in person. The application form must be signed by the previous owner/landlord, and the new user’s photo ID card/passport is also needed.

Most utility companies have downloadable documents of the necessary forms on their website.

Telephone and television

In most cases, the landline and cable TV are supplied by the same company. When moving, check first whether the present supplier also covers the new address; if so, the connection can be transferred easily. Usually it is enough to notify the supplier over the phone and request a transfer. However, this can be refused when there is outstanding debt.

If the present supplier does not cover the new address, then the contract must be terminated and a new one requested at the new address.

If the house has its own satellite antenna (no longer very common) then it is up to the owners/tenants to decide whether it stays at the house or the previous owner takes it with them.

Mobile telephones

Mobile numbers service the whole country, and the mobile company should be notified of the change of address in writing or in person.

Mail Forwarding

Postal forwarding is a paid-for service and can be requested at the post office in person.


Banks and insurance companies must be notified in writing or in person. Home insurance should be terminated and a new contract drawn up, or transferred to the new property.


For an employed person, the employer reports the change of address. Self-employed people need to fill in an online document to report the change (Változás bejelentés) and submit it electronically to the National Tax and Customs Administration (NAV).


Parents should request a transfer from the head teacher at the new school. The old school should be notified in advance so that the necessary paperwork and examination certificates can be issued.

The following documents are needed:

  • School certificates (bizonyítvány) and report cards (ellen?rz?)
  • If it is mid-term, then a photocopy of the class register (napló) certified by the school's stamp


Changing kindergarten does not involve much paperwork, but it is often impossible to find a free place mid-term. Contact the head of the desired kindergarten and inquire. If the child is above five years of age the municipality is obliged to provide a place, but it might not be at the nearest kindergarten.