Residency in Hungary
Information on residency in Hungary for European and non-European citizens: how to ensure you have the right documents in place to legally reside (and work) in Hungary...
European Union (EU) and European Economic Area (EEA) residents do not need a visa to enter Hungary. Anyone else who comes to Hungary from a country with a visa requirement must apply for a visa at a Hungarian consulate or embassy in their home country before entering Hungary for any length of time.
- To find a Hungarian foreign representative: Click here
- For information about applying for a short-term stay or long-term stay visa: Click here
As Hungary is a signatory of the Schengen Agreement, a Schengen visa is valid for entry. Schengen regulations only apply for a stay not exceeding 90 days, for each six month period.
- For information about members of the Schengen area: Click here
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs is the official portal for foreigners in Hungary and has comprehensive information on visas and residency in Hungary.
European Union (EU) and European Economic Area (EEA) citizens do not need an entry visa (Vízum or Tartózkodási engedély) to visit Hungary; they only need a passport or an ID card. As Hungary is a signatory of the Schengen Agreement, a Schengen visa is valid for entry.
Citizens of the countries listed below do not need a visa, as long as their stay does not exceed 90 days and the purpose of their visit is not employment or any other income-earning activity: Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Brunei, Canada, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Israel, Japan, Korean Republic, Malaysia, Mexico, Monaco, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, San Marino, Singapore, Uruguay, USA, Vatican City, Venezuela. The citizens of the following countries may also enter with an identity card: Andorra, Croatia, Switzerland. Citizens of Hong Kong and Macao may enter with a Special Administrative Region passport.
The Consular Services of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs has detailed information on short- and long-term visas.
- To download a visa application form: Click here
- For information on short-term visas (under 90 days): Click here (PDF)
- For information on long-stay visas (over 90 days): Click here (PDF)
- The website of the Office of Immigration and Nationality gives detailed information about visas and permits. For the requirements for the different types of visa and permit, Click here, select Administration and then Procedure
To get a visa, the applicant should go to a Hungarian consulate or embassy in their home country.
Visa enquiries for people already in Hungary should be made at the nearest Office of Immigration and Nationality.
- To find the nearest office: Click here