Consular Services for Foreign Residents of Hungary
Information on the services and assistance available, including the replacement of lost or stolen passports, for expats from the UK, USA, Canada and Australia from their embassies and consulates in Hungary...
The British Embassy in Hungary is located in Budapest. Its consular services provide assistance and support to British nationals living in the country.
- British Embassy in Budapest
At: 1051 Budapest, Harmincad Utca 6
Tel: (1) 266 2888
Open: Monday to Friday 09:00-17:00
The following services are provided by the Embassy in Budapest:
- Travel advice for the country, including information on natural disasters, staying healthy and general safety
- Advice and assistance for people in difficulty, whether it is a lost passport, money problems or for those who are victims of a crime
- Information on local doctors, lawyers and interpreters
- Advice on daily life in Hungary, for example retiring in the country
- Legalising documents
- A list of local interpreters and translators
British passports are not issued by the British Embassy in Hungary. Passport applications must be sent to HM Passport Office in the UK at the following address:
- Her Majesty's Passport Office
101 Old Hall Street
- To apply for a UK passport while overseas: Click here
The United States maintains an Embassy in Budapest.
- US Embassy in Budapest
At: 1054 Budapest, Szabadság tér 1
Tel: (1) 475 4164
Open: Monday to Thursday 09:00-12:00 and 13:00-16:00; Friday 09:00-12:00
The Embassy provides the following services for US citizens in Hungary:
- Information on living in Hungary, including getting married and divorced
- Information on getting a Hungarian driving licence
- Tax information for US citizens living overseas
- A guide to voting in US elections from Hungary
- Notarial services
- Passport services. For information on getting or renewing a US passport while in Hungary: Click here
The Federal Benefits Unit at the Embassy provides assistance to individuals who receive benefits from the United States Social Security Administration, the Civil Service or the Department of Veterans Affairs.
- For more information on Federal Benefits Services: Click here
Canadian citizens have access to consular services in Hungary at their country’s Embassy in Budapest.
- Canadian Embassy in Budapest
At: 1027 Budapest, Ganz u. 12-14
Tel: (1) 392 3360
Open: Monday to Thursday 08:00-16:30; Friday 08:00-13:30
Services offered by the Embassy for Canadian citizens include:
- Advice and help in an emergency, for example in the case of ill health, a missing person or a natural disaster
- Dealing with a lost or stolen passport and passport applications. For more information on passport services: Click here
- Visa services
- Advice on voting while living abroad
The Embassy can give information about how to register a birth in Hungary.
Australian citizens can access consular services while in Hungary at their country’s Embassy in Budapest.
- Australian Embassy in Budapest
At: 1126 Budapest, Kiralyhago ter 8-9
Tel: (1) 457 9777
Open: Monday to Friday 08:30-12:30 and 13:30-16:30
Services offered by the Embassy for Australian citizens include:
- Travel advice within Hungary
- Provide assistance in the event of an emergency
- Provide a list of local lawyers in Hungary
- Tax information
- Notarial services
- A guide to international driving permits
- Advice on getting a police clearance report from Australia
Consular Help for EU Nationals
Under EU law, an EU citizen is entitled to consular help from any EU consular representation abroad if their own country is not represented locally. This applies to citizens who are either residing or travelling abroad. Any EU embassy or consulate must provide help to an EU citizen under the same conditions as it would its nationals.
- Information on the type of help available can be found on the European Commission’s website: Click here
- For further information from the European Commission: Click here