Work Permit Application
Find out about the Hungarian work permit regulations and the application procedures in Hungary...
Before employing a foreigner, the company must first advertise the job at the Hungarian Labour Office (Munkaügyi Központ) for a fixed period of 15 days to allow unemployed Hungarian citizens to apply for the position. Thereafter, the employer can apply for a work permit on behalf of a foreign employee; this work permit is only valid for work at the company that makes the application for the permit.
The following documents are needed in support of an application:
- Certificate of relevant training or education (translated into Hungarian)
- Medical examination certificate
The work permit is issued after ten to 15 days.
After being granted a work permit, the employee has to apply for a residence visa (Tartózkodási engedély), which is a “D” visa for entry for a long-term stay (exceeding 90 days). They should apply at the embassy or consulate in their place of residence. The following documents are required to support the application:
- Work permit
- Employment contract
- Valid passport and two passport photos
- Proof of accommodation on arrival in Hungary
- Proof of sufficient funds and health insurance
- Completed application form; to download the form: Click here (PDF)
A fee must be paid to process the application.
The work permit is generally issued for one year, but can be renewed if the employee wishes to extend their stay in Hungary and continues to fulfil the requirements of the application.
If the purpose of stay in Hungary is self-employment, a work permit issued by the Office of Immigration and Nationality is required.
- To find the nearest office: Click here
The following documents are needed:
- Sole trader certificate (Egyéni Vállalkozó Igazolvány), which can be obtained from a local Office for Administrative and Electronic Public Services (Okmányiroda)
- Proof of health insurance
- Proof of accommodation
- Proof of financial support in Hungary
Once a work permit has been issued, an application for a residence visa (Tartózkodási engedély) must be submitted to the Hungarian consulate or embassy in the place of residence. The documents needed in support of an application are:
- Valid work permit
- Labour agreement
- Proof of accommodation
- Proof of financial support in Hungary (in the case of a business or a sole trader)
- Business plan (new companies)
- Deed of association
- Business registration number
- Proof of relevant training or education
- Expected annual income
- Simplified annual report (if the company is already in operation)
- Proof of no outstanding public debt (if the company is already in operation)
- To download a visa application form for a stay longer than three months: Click here (PDF)
Arriving in Hungary
On arrival in Hungary, the residence visa holder must apply for a residence permit at the local Office of Immigration and Nationality within 90 days.
- For further information about residency in Hungary, see the section on Residency in Hungary