Pet Imports and Quarantine in India
Details of the paperwork needed to bring an animal into India, and information on quarantine…
The Department of Animal Husbandry, Dairying and Fisheries oversees the importation of pets into India.
- To visit its website: Click here
Animal Quarantine and Certification Service Officers are present at Mumbai, Delhi, Bengaluru, Chennai and Kolkata airports to deal with the importation and exportation of pets. See the bottom of the page for contact details.
Paperwork should be presented on arrival in India to the quarantine officer in customs. Hiring a pet relocator will help with this process.
- No Objection Certificate (NOC): These must be obtained from a quarantine centre in India 15 days before importation. The easiest way is to hire a local pet relocator agent to assist with the Animal Quarantine and Certification Service
- Original veterinary certificate: Dogs must be free from Aujeszky’s Disease, distemper, rabies, leishmaniasis and leptospirosis, while cats must be free from rabies and distemper. Imported pets should also be microchipped
- Vaccination record: Pets must have a certificate proving that the animal has been vaccinated against rabies. The Indian embassy in Berne, Switzerland, provides the only thorough list of vaccination requirements: Click here
Sample veterinary certificates can be found on the Jet Airways website.
If the pet is travelling in the cargo hold, the following documents will be also be required:
- A copy of the owner/caretaker's passport
- A copy of the owner/caretaker's e-ticket
- A copy of the airway bill
India does not generally quarantine pets from countries with no or low incidences of rabies that have been vaccinated from:
- Dogs: Aujeszky’s disease, distemper, rabies (no fewer than 30 days prior to travel and no more than one year), leishmaniasis and leptospirosis
- Cats: rabies (no fewer than 30 days prior to travel and no more than one year) and distemper
It is rare for a pet to be quarantined, but when it does happen, it will last for between 30 days and three months.
Contact details of the main locations of Animal Quarantine and Certification Service Stations, part of the Department of Animal Husbandry, Dairying and Fisheries, are listed below:
- New Delhi
At: Kapashera (Crossing), New Delhi 110 001
Tel: + 91 11 2506 3272
Fax: +91 11 2506 0647
At: Narayanpur, P.O R-Gopalpur, North 24-Parganas, West Bengal 7435
Tel: +91 33 2573 9777
Fax: +91 33 2573 9777
At: Cargo Terminal Building, Phase I, Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport, Sahar, Mumbai 400099
Tel: +91 22 2682 8194
At: Velachery Main Road, Pallikaranai, Chennai 601302
Tel: +91 44 2246 0659
Fax: +91 44 2246 0659
At: Alpha 3, Room No. 024, 1st Floor, Bangalore International Airport, Devanahalli, Bangalore 560300