Employment Visas in India
Details of the procedures involved in getting an Employment Visa in India…
An Employment Visa is granted to foreigners who have been offered a specific role within a company that requires a high level of expertise or skill. Visas are not granted for secretarial, clerical, or any other job that an Indian employee could qualify for.
Those who are self-employed would also apply for an employment visa. This is permissible for foreign nationals providing a highly skilled service in a profession such as engineering, medicine, accountancy or law.
It is now a legal requirement that any foreign national should be paid a salary of at least $25,000 in order to be granted an Employment Visa (with the exception of ethnic cooks, non-English Language teachers and staff employed by the Embassy or High Commission).
These additional documents must be provided with an Employment Visa application:
- Proof of employment (contract from the employing company/organisation signed by both parties)
- Proof of educational qualifications or proof of professional expertise
- Proof that the employing company/organisation is registered within the relevant field of industry
Registering an Employment Visa with an FRRO
A visa permitting a stay over 180 days requires registration at the Foreign Regional Registration Office (FRRO) in the area of residence within 14 days of arriving in India. A fine of US $30 is charged for late registration.
The major Indian cities (Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Amritsar, Bengaluru, Chennai and Hyderabad) have FRROs. Contact details and locations of these can be found by hovering over the “contact us” tab on the Indian Bureau of Immigration page: Click here
Registration, and an appointment for a registration interview, must be done online for those registering in Delhi.
- For information from the Ministry of Home Affairs on how to register online: Click here (PDF in English)
Foreign registration in areas not covered by an FRRO can be completed at the District Superintendents of Police, which operates as the Foreign Registration Office.
Upon request from a registration officer, magistrate officer or police all foreigners are required to produce the certificate of registration within 24 hours.
Documents required for registration
At the Registration Office a completed registration report needs to be signed in the presence of the registration officer.
A registration form can be downloaded from the Indian government portal online: Click here (PDF in English)
The following must be provided:
- Four passport photos
- Passport with valid visa
- Three photocopies of the photo page and the valid visa of passport
- Details and three copies of proof of residence (rent agreement/utility bill with letter from landlord)
- Registration fee Rs100
Registration of an Employment Visa also needs:
- Three copies (in total) of registration form
- Three copies of contract from employer including terms and conditions, salary, designation and so on
- Three copies of stamped and signed (by appropriate authority) undertaking letter from the company on company letterhead. For required format of the letter: Click here
- If living in India for over a year, a copy of Form 16/Income Tax papers. The form can be downloaded online: Click here (PDF in English)
- Three copies of Permanent Account Number (PAN) card or three copies of the application made for a PAN card. The PAN application form can be downloaded online: Click here (PDF in English)
For more information on getting a Permanent Account Number see the PAN Card page.