Moving House in Indonesia

Make sure you carry out these essential tasks when moving house in Indonesia...

Moving house generally requires planning and preparation; here are some things to remember when moving home within Indonesia.

Change of Address

Foreign nationals must register and report any change in their status to their district or municipal office (kabupaten) when moving to or moving house in Indonesia.

Rental Property

Theoretically, giving notice does not apply in Indonesia, as contracts cannot be broken. There is no law that stipulates that notice must be given, so when tenants want to leave, they simply tell their landlord.


Below is a guideline of the necessary procedures for transferring, connecting and disconnecting utility services.


The electricity provider in Indonesia is Perusahaan Listrik Negara (PLN).

  • PLN (website in Indonesian)
    : Jalan Trunojoyo Blok M I/135, Jakarta 12160 
    Tel: (021) 725 1234
    Fax: (021) 720 4929
  • PLN Bali (website in Indonesian)
    : Jalan Letda Tantular No. 1, Renon, Denpasar, Bali
    Tel: (0361) 221 960
    Fax: (0361) 227 101

To disconnect the electricity supply when moving house contact PLN at least one week in advance, in person, at the local PLN office.

A photocopy of the ID of the person whose name is on the electricity contract must be supplied along with the last bill, which must have been paid.


Many households in Indonesia use bottled gas, known as tanki for cooking and heating water. The most common forms are 3kg (green bottle) and 12 kg (blue bottle) of LPG (Liquefied Petroleum Gas). When moving house, empty bottles should be returned to recuperate the deposit paid.


If your water supply is provided by a water company, rather than from a groundwater source under the property, the supply needs to be disconnected before you move out. A minimum of three days notice is required by some suppliers, but it's best to check with the company directly. To get disconnected, take the following to the supplier's office:

  • Proof of identity
  • The PDAM connection number (No. sambungan)

In Bali, water supply is provided by PDAM.

  • PDAM Centre (website in Indonesian)
    : Jalan Ahmad Yani No. 98, Denpasar Utara, Bali
    Tel: (0361) 231 314 / (0361) 231 315 / (0361) 240 749
    Fax: (0361) 234 774
    Open: Monday to Thursday 07:30-15.00, Friday 07:30-12:00


Notify the bank of the new address before moving. Credit card companies should also be informed. If changing bank account numbers, inform all companies if there are standing orders set up.


Teaching staff and the school authorities need to prepare and transmit a child's school records. They should be notified some time in advance. Check required notice periods with the relevant school.


Residents earning income that exceeds the non-taxable income threshold of Rp 15, 840 000 (Penghasilan Tidak Kena Pajak - PTKP) must register at their local Director General of Taxation (DGT) office and file an annual tax return (Form 1770).

  • To find a local DGT office in Indonesia: Click here (PDF)

Driving Licence

The holder of an Indonesian driving licence must report their new address to the same Office of Motor Vehicles (Satpas) that issued the driving licence. This must be done within two months of moving residence.

  • Satpas
    At: Jl. Daan Mogot Km. 11, Jakarta Barat
    Open: Monday to Friday from 08:00-16:00, Saturdays from 08:00-12:00
  • Satpas
    : Jl. Gunung Sanghyang 110, Denpasar, Bali