Find out how to get connected to a gas supply in Italy...

The gas market in Italy was deregulated in January 2003 and consumers are now entitled to choose their provider. The rental agency or real estate agent will be able to provide contacts for the area. Gas is widely used for heating, water heating and cooking appliances throughout Italy.

Gas is available in three forms:

  • Mains gas (gas di città or mettano)
  • Bottled gas (bombole)
  • Outdoors gas tank (bombolone)

Mains gas

Mains gas (gas di città or metano) is generally available in large towns and cities in the north of the country.

Mains gas is used for appliances and heating and all installations have to be approved by the supplier. Gas water heaters need to be serviced and descaled annually.

Getting connected

On moving in, a new tenant or property owner should contact Italgas/SIG to have the meter read and the gas turned on.

The supplier will need the:

  • Registration number of the meter
  • Name of previous tenant/owner (if possible)
  • Name and account details of new tenant/owner

Mains gas is charged by the megacalorie (MCAL) and invoiced bi-monthly. Payments can be made by direct debit or at the post office.

Bottled gas

Bottled gas (bomboli) is most commonly butane gas (although propane is available). It can be bought in small quantities (usually 10, 15 or 20 kilograms) in bottles and is usually kept in the kitchen under the sink. Bottled gas is most commonly used to fuel cookers but may also be used for "fire" heaters and to heat water.

Typically a €10 deposit, in addition to the price of gas, should be paid to the supplier (local supermarket, petrol station) for the first bombole purchased. Thereafter, the empty bottle can simply be exchanged when paying for a full one. Some gas suppliers deliver.

Gas tank

Tank gas (bombolone) is more common in rural areas. Gas is stored in a large tank outside the house (usually 1,000 litres of liquid gas) and is used for hot water and heating.

Generally, the tank is installed by the gas company and remains their property. They charge for supplying the gas. A tenant/owner will need to sign a supply contract with the gas company and will be charged for a fixed minimum usage per year.

The property insurer must be informed if the property is using a gas tank (insurance premiums may be slightly higher).