Moving Pets to Italy from Outside the European Union

Find out how to import a pet to Italy from outside the European Union...

If taking the pet to a country outside the EU consult the Embassy or consulate to check the local regulations.

An animal entering Italy (or any EU country) from a non-EU country that has the same rabies controls need merely prove that the anti-rabies booster vaccinations are valid and up-to-date.

Animals from countries not included on the list need to have complete anti-rabies treatment. The Italian Embassy in the home country should be consulted.

Moving Pets to Italy from the United States or Canada

Animals from the USA and Canada may enter Italy if they have:

  • a valid Veterinary Certificate (stating owners details, a description of the animal, details of identification and vaccinations)
  • valid rabies vaccines
  • a tattoo (only accepted in the EU until 3 July 2011) or a microchip (compatible with standard ISO 11784 or annex A ISO standard 11785)

The cage or carrier must be labelled with the owner's name, and their (or a nominated person's) address and contact numbers in Italy.

Once in Italy, an Italian vet can issue an EU Pet Passport allowing travel within Europe.

  • The United States Department of Agriculture provides information on pet travel 
  • The Canadian Food Inspection Agency website has further information on travelling with a pet