EU Nationals Moving to Italy

Residency for European Union (EU) and European Economic Area (EEA) Citizens...

EU nationals: right of residency

On the basis of the EC Treaty, residence permits are not required for EU citizens who wish to move from one EU member state to another; however, they may be required to register their presence with the local authorities. The following purposes of stay are regarded as residence:

  • Employment (including job-seeking)
  • Study
  • Economically non-active
  • Staying as a family member of a citizen of the Union
  • Pensioners

The non-EU spouse or legal partner and family (dependent children, grandchildren, and parents) of an EU citizen have the same rights as any EU citizen in Europe. However, they will need a visa if they come from a country that has visa requirements for the EU. For unmarried couples, the definition of legal partner may vary depending on the country. 

Note: Croatian citizens staying more than three months in Italy require a work permit if they are to be employed. There is no restriction on the self-employed.

Voluntary registration for visits of less than three months

European Union citizens (cittadini comunitari) may enter Italy with a national identity card or valid passport. EU nationals staying for less than three months are not required to report their presence to the local Police authorities in the municipality of residence but it is recommended. This is to avoid having to later prove the length of stay. They can fill in a Declaration of Presence form (Dichiarazione di Prezensa) which is then stamped and a copy issued to the applicant.

Registration certificates for stays of more than three months

EU nationals who move to Italy to live, work or study for longer than three months should register their presence at the offices of the local authority (Comune-Ufficio Anagrafe). EU citizens should apply for residency within 8 days of arrival. When registering they must be able to prove that they live, work or study in Italy and have sufficient financial means to support themselves, as well as health insurance. A certificate of registration (attestato d’iscrizione anagrafica) will be issued. This replaces the residence permit card for EU citizens.

The following documents plus copies must be presented:

  • Passport or other photo ID
  • Evidence of employment or self-employment
  • If retired or unemployed proof of sufficient financial resources
  • Health insurance
  • For students: evidence of enrolment in an educational facility, sufficient financial resources, a tax identification code, and health insurance
  • Tax stamp for €16.42; available at tobacconists and post offices
  • Fee (€27.50)

The registration certificate should be issued immediately and is supposed to be valid indefinitely; however, Italy, like many countries, limits validity to five years. Registration at a new local authority may be required after a change of address. Another document, the Identity Card (Carta d'identità) may be applied for at the same time as the registration certificate. This is valid within Italy only and will be posted to the applicant's home address.