Importing and Registering Foreign Vehicles in Italy

The information you need before you import a car or motorcycle to Italy; including who must register and when, what paperwork is necessary and where to go to get it all done...

The Italian Ministry of Transport states that only the following people may register a foreign car in Italy:

  • Italian nationals (even if living abroad)
  • Foreign nationals with official residence in Italy (proof of the car owner's residence is required)

The car must be registered in Italy with the local Motorizzazione Civile office within six months of its arrival in the country, as well as the Public Vehicle Registry (Pubblico Registro Automobilistico)

The owner must prove that the vehicle is road-worthy by providing a technical inspection certificate, signed and stamped by the manufacturer or an accredited distributor. This should be translated into Italian. Once approved the authorities will issue a certificate of conformity – certificato di conformità.

Tourists may bring vehicles with NON-Italian plates to Italy on a temporary basis for a maximum of six months without paying customs duties. After six months the car must be exported or registered in Italy.

The PRA is operated by the Italian Automobile Club (Automobile Club d’Italia), which has Public Support Offices (Servizi Relazioni con il Pubblico) in most major towns and cities.

For information from the Italian Automobile Club on importing a vehicle (in Italian)

For the contact details of the bodies mentioned above