Vehicle Registration

Understand how to register your imported vehicle in Italy...

Registering a car from an EU country

First cancel the car's registration with the traffic control authority in its home country. A cancellation certificate and technical specifications form for the vehicle will be issued.

The car may then be driven to Italy on a provisional number plate issued by the traffic control authority.

To register an imported used car, it must first pass a test to ensure it conforms to Italian technical norms. A certificate of conformity will be awarded to vehicles passing this test. For information concerning type-approval, contact a local Provincial Motor Vehicle Office (Ufficio Provinciale della Motorizzazione Civile) (UMC).

To import a car or a motorcycle registered abroad into Italy, it must first be registered and then entered onto the Public Motoring Register (Pubblico Registro Automobilistico/PRA) within 60 days. To do this, the owner must be in possession of the original (or true copy) of the foreign registration document, which must be filed with the Inspectorate of Civil Motoring (Ispettorato della Motorizzazione Civile) at a local UMC.

A good first step for the registration process is to contact the nearest Provincial Office of the ACI (Automobile Club d'Italia), which manages the Public Motoring Register, for guidance.

  • Details of ACI and UMC offices can be found on their website

When registering the vehicle, the following documents should be taken:

  • Cancellation certificate
  • Technical specifications form
  • Registration Request (domanda di immatricolazione) form TT2119 (PDF)
  • Original and photocopy of the vehicle registration document and certified translation in Italian; a Certificate of Permanent Export may sometimes suffice
  • Original and photocopy of roadworthiness test certificate signed and stamped by the manufacturer or a reputable dealer, with a certified translation into Italian
  • Technical specifications form signed and stamped by the manufacturer or a reputable dealer (Note: Italians returning to Italy from outside the EU are exempt from producing a technical sheet)

It may be necessary to obtain technical specifications information from the vehicle manufacturer. This can cost several hundred Euros to obtain.

According to EU legislation, technically it is not necessary for a used vehicle from another EU country to undergo a roadworthiness test (collaudo), as demanded by Article 75 of the Highway Code, if the validity of the final technical inspection carried out abroad can be deduced from the original document.

There is a fee for issuing a number plate.

Note: In instances in which a car has never been registered, the car's original Certificate of Conformity (Certificato di Conformità Comunitario/COC) is required.


New vehicles imported from EU countries are subject to VAT (IVA) at a rate of 21 percent. To be considered new, the vehicle must either:

  • Have less than 6,000 Km on the odometer or
  • Have been purchased within six months of registration

Vehicles with over 6,000 Km on the odometer or which were purchased over six months prior to registration are considered used. For used vehicles, or those registered in a foreign country for more than six months, there is no liability for payment of duty or VAT (IVA).

Registering a vehicle imported from the USA

Tourists may bring vehicles with valid non-Italian plates to Italy on a temporary basis and be kept in the country for a maximum of six months without paying customs duties. In rare instances, authorities will extend the permit for another six month period. After six months the car must be exported or registered in Italy (which means customs duties and sales tax must be paid).

A Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin (Certificato di Origine) is required for vehicles from the United States that have never been registered in the United States.  For more information on the MCO, please contact your US car dealership.

The following documents are required for vehicles that were previously registered:

  • Original and photocopy of registration card
  • Original and photocopy of Certificate of Title
  • Technical specifications form
  • Customs form and certificate (bolletta e certificati doganali)


Residents of Italy may import a motor vehicle duty-free if it has been owned for at least a year. To import a vehicle owned for less than a year, customs duty must be paid (11 percent of the vehicle value), as well as VAT (IVA), which is currently 21 percent of the vehicle's value.

  • For more detailed information, contact the vehicle registration office, Pubblico Registro Automobilistico (PRA): Click here (in Italian)
  • For more information see the United States Embassy in Italy website: Click here

After registration in Italy

Within 60 days of the date of issue of the Italian registration, the vehicle must be entered onto the Public Motoring Register (Pubblico Registro Automobilistico) (PRA). This is carried out at the Provincial Office of the ACI (Automobile Club of Italy), which manages the PRA in the province where the holder of the registration document lives.

  • Details of ACI offices can be found on the contacts page: Click here