Vehicle Roadworthiness Tests in Italy

All vehicles must undergo a regular inspection at official test centres. This inspection (like the MOT test) is to ensure the car is legal and roadworthy with safe emissions. Find out where and how to get a car tested...

According to Article 80 of the Italian Highway Code (Codice della Strada), vehicles must be submitted to a compulsory test for roadworthiness within four years of their first registration, and then every alternate year thereafter. This includes passenger cars and transport vehicles, as well as mopeds and motorcycles from 50cc upwards (that is, any vehicle bearing a registration plate).

Taking the Test

The Italian roadworthiness test (like the MOT in the UK) is called a revisione.

It is recommended to book an appointment at a roadworthiness testing centre (officine revisione) for a vehicle inspection.

Vehicles are tested to ensure the following parts are in proper order:

  • Brakes (freni)
  • Tyres (pneumatici)
  • Lights (luci)
  • Steering of the vehicle (sterzo del veicolo)
  • Car suspension (suspensioni)
  • Wheel alignment (ruote)
  • Car transmission (trasmissione)
  • Windscreen ( tergicristallo) and wipers (spazzola del tergicristallo)
  • Chassis (telaio)
  • Seatbelts (cinture di sicurezza)
  • Warning device (segnalatore acustico)

The amount of noise made by the car as well as its compliance with the law regarding emissions will also be checked.

The procedure is as follows:

  • Fill in the relevant Form MC 2100
  • Provide ID and a residence permit (Carta di Soggiorno)
  • If the person requesting the test is not the owner of the vehicle, show power of attorney as well as the owner's identification
  • Pay the registration fee

Once the test is complete, a sticker is issued by the relevant office and attached to the vehicle registration certificate (Carta di Circolazione).

If the vehicle fails the test

If the outcome is "negative, to be repeated" (negativo/ripetere) then the car must be taken to a garage so that the repairs requested on the label are completed. The vehicle must return for a second examination within one month.

If the outcome is "negative, to be suspended" (negativo/sospeso), the car must be taken to a garage so that the all repairs are done. Once complete, a new request for a car examination will need to be made. The car may not be used until fixed and retested.

If the inspection for roadworthiness has not been done, or has been failed, the driver is subject to a fine that can range from approximately €150 to €570. The registration certificate is also suspended (except to allow the driver to go to the nearest testing centre).

A car without valid roadworthiness on a motorway can be immediately stopped and confiscated.

Specific Request for Roadworthiness Test (Revisione Straordinaria)

Following a car accident or on request by the police, the authorities may ask that a vehicle be put through a roadworthiness test. In this instance, the vehicle examination may not be made at one of the authorised technical centres but through the local transport offices (Uffici Decentrati S.I.I.T Settore Trasporti and Uffici Provinciali Motorizzazione).

Foreign Vehicles

Vehicle roadworthiness is not transferable between EU nations. However, a foreign car registered in a EU member state may be driven on its foreign registration plates for one year, after which it must be re-registered in Italy and put onto Italian registration plates.

If the roadworthiness test passed in a country of origin within the EU is, it is still valid there will be no need to go through the Italian equivalent. If the foreign roadworthiness test is no longer valid, or about to expire, the vehicle will need an Italian test (revisione).

Classic Cars

In Italy, cars over four years old must undergo a roadworthiness test (revisione) every two years. If the car is over 30 years old, a reduced car tax (bollo auto) is payable.

Sale of a Vehicle

In Italy, each vehicle sale needs to be registered in the Public Vehicle Registry (Pubblico Registro Automobilistico), which will deal with all the relevant documentation regarding the vehicle, including the roadworthiness test.