Energy Certification of Buildings in Tuscany

Properties for sale and rent, as well as building projects, in Tuscany must be analysed by an expert to establish the energy required by the building. Find out more about this energy certificate...

The energy certificate is a document prepared by a technician, who estimates the energy needs of a building. Based on this estimate an energy class on a scale from A to G is assigned to each building. A Class A building requires the least energy while a Class G building requires the most.

The certificate must be written according to national and regional standards as defined by law. The national system of certification was introduced in June 2009 with the publication of Linee Guida Nazionali per la Certificazione Energetica degli Edifici. There are some differences in the implementation from region to region: in Tuscany, the Regional Government has adopted the national certification system and changed some elements.

When the Energy Certificate is Required

In Tuscany, the following buildings must be certified:

  • Buildings which are for sale
  • Building which are for rent
  • Newly built buildings
  • Buildings being renovated

For sale or to rent: Buildings which are being put on the market for sale or lease as they are (without any building works) must have a certificate prepared at the time of sale or rental.

In the case of the sale of property, if the building has an area of 1,000 square meters or less, a personal declaration can be submitted, however the building will be rated as Class G so a declaration is not necessary.

New builds and renovations: In the case of new builds or buildings which have received some construction work (alterations or renovations) and which may be put on the market, the certificate must be prepared at the time of the construction work.

Buildings requiring an energy certificate

The rule applies to all types of buildings, residential and commercial. Exclusions only apply in some special situations and to some specific types of building.

  • The energy certificate is not required if the building has an area of less than 25 square meters
  • Cellars, garages, parking lots, warehouses and similar non-habitable spaces do not need certification
  • Industrial, agricultural or workshop buildings do not need certification, provided air-conditioning uses energy derived from the production process
  • It is also not necessary to certify buildings declared "not fit for use" or buildings which are to be demolished
  • Temporary buildings do not need to be certified

How to Certify a Building

New builds and renovations

In the case of new buildings and renovations, an expert qualified to certify the building must be appointed before the work begins. Their name must be submitted to the municipal offices.

The expert not only draws up the certificate, but also inspects the site during the most significant periods of construction to ensure that work is being properly executed and will not have a negative impact on energy performance. The expert delivers a copy of the certificate to the property owner, and sends another to the municipal office.

The certificate of habitability is a document obtained at the end of building works, which attests compliance with safety and health standards. It must make reference to the energy certificate.

Sale or rental

In the case of certification of a building for sale or rental, the property owner appoints an expert; the expert issues the owner with a certificate after conducting a check to collect data necessary for the proper calculation of the thermal performance. The expert submits a copy of the certificate to the municipal office and one to the regional offices.

The certificate does not need to be attached to a sale or lease agreement, however those documents must include details of the certificate.

Consequences of not getting an energy certificate

Energy certification is a requirement. If the requirement is not met, the consequences vary, and may vary further still depending if the building is a new build, has been renovated, is for sale or to let.

  1. Building and renovation: If the energy certificate is not submitted to the municipal office, the documents which certify that the building meets all building codes are not valid. This means that the building itself is not legitimate and may not be legitimately be used.
  2. Sale or lease of a building: If the details of the certificate are not included in the contract, the building is automatically classified as Class G.

Issuing Certification

Tuscany, unlike other regions, does not have a specific list of technicians authorised to prepare the certificate. This means that any engineer, architect or surveyor may issue a certificate.

The certification of a building is intended to improve its energy performance and reward buildings that are more energy efficient. An energy-efficient building provides economic benefit to the owner because it is less expensive to run, and because its investment value is increased. Specialists in energy-efficient buildings can be consulted to assess a building to ascertain how its energy usage might be improved.

Duration of the Energy Certificate

An energy certificate is valid for 10 years. The certificate must be updated whenever there are renovations made to the building that can modify the performance of the building itself.

Existing rules on energy efficiency (such as the control of air-conditioning systems) must be observed.

Further Information

Information supplied by Riccardo Borzoni, Architetto - Master Science Certificatore e Consulente Esperto CasaClima Massa (MS) - Toscana Tel: 329 07 64 689 / e-mail Copyright © Riccardo Borzoni All Rights Reserved