Consular Services for Foreign Residents of Japan

Information on the services and assistance available, including the replacement of lost or stolen passports, for expats from the UK, USA, Canada, Australia and New Zealand from their embassies and consulates in Japan...

UK Citizens

The British Embassy in Japan is located in Tokyo. Its consular services provide assistance and support to British nationals living in the country.

  • British Embassy in Tokyo
    At: No 1 Ichiban-cho, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 102-8381
    Tel: 03 5211 1100
    : Monday, Wednesday and Friday 09:00-13:00; Tuesday and Thursday 09:00-12:00 and 14:00-16:00

The following services are provided by the Embassy in Tokyo:

  • Travel advice for the country, including information on natural disasters, staying healthy and general safety
  • Advice and assistance for people in difficulty, whether it is a lost passport, money problems or for those who are victims of a crime
  • Information on local doctors, lawyers and interpreters
  • Advice on daily life in Japan, for example information on working in the country and getting a divorce
  • Information on bringing drugs for personal use into Japan
  • Legalising documents
  • Information on schools in Tokyo and Yokohama

There is also a Consulate-General in Osaka which provides consular services to the 29 prefectures in western Japan; from Aichi, Gifu and Toyama as far as Okinawa.

  • Consulate-General in Osaka
    : Epson Osaka Building 19F, 3-5-1 Bakuro-machi, Chuo-ku, Osaka, 541-0059
    Tel: 06 6120 5600
    Open: Monday to Friday 09:00-12:00 and 14:00-17:00

The UK government's GOV.UK website provides information online for Britons considering moving abroad and for those already there. It includes tax, health and education advice as well as a section on what to do when returning to the UK.

British passports are not issued by the British Embassy in Tokyo. Applications for first passports and renewals must be sent to HM Passport Office in the UK.

US Citizens

The United States maintains an Embassy in Tokyo.

  • US Embassy in Tokyo
    At: 1-10-5 Akasaka, Minato-ku, Tokyo 107-8420
    Tel: 03 3224 5000
    Open: Monday to Friday 08:45-12:00; Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday 08:45-12:00 and 14:00-16:00

The Embassy provides the following services for US citizens in Japan:

  • The Federal Benefits Unit at the Embassy provides assistance to individuals who receive benefits from the United States Social Security Administration, the Civil Service or the Department of Veterans Affairs.

The Embassy provides detailed information on how to register a birth while in Japan. They also provide information about getting married in the country.

The United States also maintains a number of Consulate-Generals around Japan. Contact details for each are given below.

Canadian Citizens

Canadian citizens have access to consular services in Japan at their country's Embassy in Tokyo.

  • Canadian Embassy in Tokyo
    At: 7-3-38 Akasaka, Minato-ku, Tokyo 107-8503
    Tel: 03 5412 6200
    Open: Monday to Friday 09:00-17:30

Services offered by the Embassy for Canadian citizens include:

  • Advice and help in an emergency, for example in the case of ill health, a missing person or a natural disaster
  • All passport services including lost/stolen passports and passport applications
  • Advice on voting while living abroad
  • Information on returning to Canada, including how to import a vehicle or a pet
  • Information on Japanese driving licences
  • Advice on doing business with Japan
  • Advice on taxation

The Embassy provides information on how to register a birth or get married in Japan.

Canada also maintains Consulates in Nagoya, Sapporo and Hiroshima. Contact details are given below.

Australian Citizens

Australian citizens can access to consular services while in Japan at their country's Embassy in Tokyo.

  • Australian Embassy in Tokyo
    At: Australian Embassy Tokyo, 2-1-14 Mita, Minato-ku, Tokyo 108-8361
    Tel: 03 5232 4111
    Open: Monday to Friday 09:30-12:30 and 13:30-16:30

Services offered by the Embassy for Australian citizens include:

  • Travel advice within Japan
  • Information and advice on what to do in an emergency, including useful telephone numbers
  • Passport services
  • Information on driving and licences in Japan
  • Notarial services
  • Useful information on living in the country including medical services, getting a divorce and employment
  • Information on the Japanese tax system
  • Information for Australians getting married in Japan

Australia also offers its citizens consular services in Osaka, Sapporo and Fukuoka. Contact details are given below.

  • Consulate-General in Osaka
    At: 16F Twin 21 MID Tower, 2-1-61 Shiromi, Chuo-ku, Osaka 540-6116
    Tel: 06 6941 9448
    Open: Monday to Friday 09:00-17:30
  • Consulate-General in Sapporo
    At: 17th Floor, Sapporo Centre Building, North 5, West 6-2, Chuo-ku, Sapporo 060-0005
    Tel: 011 242 4381
    Open: Tuesday and Thursday 09:00-17:00
  • Consulate-General in Fukuoka
    At: 7th Floor, Tenjin Twin Building, 1-6-8 Tenjin, Chuo-ku, Fukuoka 810-0001
    Tel: 092 734 5055
    Open: Monday to Friday 09:00-17:00

New Zealand Citizens

Citizens of New Zealand can access consular services while in Japan at their country's Embassy in Tokyo.

Services offered by the Embassy include:

  • Travel advice within Japan
  • Help in an emergency situation
  • Notarial and legal services
  • Emergency travel documents
  • Advice on living in Japan, including employment and taxation
  • Visa information
  • Advice on bringing pets to Japan
  • Information on driving in the country
  • A (non-exhaustive) list of facilities with English-speaking medical staff

The embassy gives detailed information on getting married and what to do if in the event of the death of a New Zealand national in Japan.