Moving House in Luxembourg

The essential facts you need and things to be remembered when moving house (around the corner or across the country) in Luxembourg...

Moving house generally requires planning and preparation; here are some specifics to remember when moving home within Luxembourg.

Removal Companies

If a removal company is required, it is worth investigating and organising sufficiently in advance. If exterior furniture lifts have to be used, the removal company needs to obtain an authorisation from the local authorities.

Change of Address

Any change of address in Luxembourg must be reported in person to the local authorities of the commune where the person resides. A passport or identity card will be required and the address where the person is moving to. Depending on the commune, some other documents may be necessary. If the person is moving to another address within Luxembourg, they will then need to register with the local authorities in the new commune. Anyone moving to Luxembourg-City from elsewhere in the Grand Duchy must present themselves at the Bierger Centre within eight days of their arrival. Proof of identity and if applicable, a residence permit (Titre de Séjour) or previous address registration (Attestation d'enregistrement) will be required. A change of address from Luxembourg-City to any other address within the Grand-Duchy must be reported to the Bierger-Center. Proof of identity and if applicable, a residence permit (Titre de Séjour) or previous address registration (Attestation d'enregistrement) will be required. A change of address from Luxembourg-City to any other address outside the Grand-Duchy must be reported to the Bierger-Center. The residence permit (Titre de Séjour) or the previous address registration (Attestation d'enregistrement) will be retained by the authorities.
  • Bierger Center (in French) At: 44, Place Guillaume II / 2, rue Notre-Dame, L-2090 Luxembourg Tel: 47 96 22 00 email
Once the commune has been notified, the person may be reimbursed for some indirect taxes including dog licences, cable TV charges and waste disposal.


Electricity and gas

Households may choose their electricity and gas provider from a list of approved suppliers. Contact the current supplier at least eight days before moving house to organise a final meter reading. The account may then be closed or transferred to the new address. Customers of Enovos can cancel or transfer their electricity contract at the customer service centre or by downloading the online moving house form.
  • Enovos At: 2, Domaine du Schlassgoard, L-4327 Esch-sur-Alzette Tel: 80 06 60 00 Open: Monday to Friday 08:00-20:00, Saturday 09:00-18:00
Leo Energy is one of the main suppliers of electricity, gas and water to citizens of Luxembourg City. People moving to Luxembourg City should contact LEO Energy at least eight days before moving to ensure that the water, electricity and gas are connected in their new place of residence.


Water is generally provided by the Service des Eaux of the Commune. Contact the local office of the Service des Eaux, at the Town Hall/municipality office of the place of residence at least one week before moving.


There are several telephone companies in Luxembourg, but to be connected to the land line network, an initial subscription must be taken with POST. When moving house, contact POST at least 15 days before the date on which the subscription is to end.

Mail Forwarding

The Luxembourg P&T can arrange for mail to be forwarded to a new address (service de réexpedition). The service must be organised at the local post office at least three days before moving. Complete an application form, submit it to the post office and the mail will be redirected for an indefinite period.


Insurance companies must be notified of a change of address. Home insurance can be transferred to a new property, but if the new home is significantly different in size or value, a reassessment is required. Vehicle insurance premiums may vary as some companies base insurance premium on house location. It will also be necessary to indicate any changes such as whether the car will be parked off street or in a secured garage.

Banks and Postal Banks

Notify the bank of the new address before moving. Credit card companies should also be informed. If changing bank account numbers when moving the National Health Service (Caisse Nationale de Santé - CNS) needs to be informed.


Teaching staff and the school authorities will need to prepare and transfer a child's school records to their new school. They should be notified some time in advance.

Rented Accommodation

Check the notice period in the contract (usually three months) and inform the landlord by registered letter of the intention to vacate the property. Arrange for an appointment with the landlord and/or the estate agent for key return, inventory and inspection (état des lieux).

Social Security

The National Health Service (Caisse Nationale de Santé - CNS) must be informed of any change of address. This can be done by filling in a form online.

Cars and Vehicles

Any change of address will need to be reported to the National Technical Control Centre (Société Nationale de Contrôle Technique) within one month to update the vehicle's registration documents. This can be carried out at one of the Technical Control Centres. The following documents will be required:
  • Vehicle registration documents
  • Residence certificate (established by the commune where the person resides)
Luxembourg driving licences do not need to be updated with the new address. Residential area parking cards (vignette de stationnement) should be returned to the address indicated on the back of the card for a pro-rata refund.


The employer should be notified of the change of address. In most cases, the employed person is entitled to two days of paid leave when moving house.

Doctors, Dentists and Vets

Notify doctors, dentists and vets of a change of address as it is not unusual for some dentists and doctors to send a reminder notice when a routine check or a vaccination is due.


Notify newspapers or magazines subscription services of the change of address. It may also be useful to notify stores where the person has a loyalty card and mail-order companies.