Registration Process for Non-EU Citizens

Understand which visas and permits are required for non-EU citizens wishing to enter Luxembourg...

Visa requirements

Nationals of certain countries require a visa before they may enter Luxembourg. The visa application must be made before departure. Visa applications must be made to the Luxembourg Consulate in the non-EU national's home country, or at a Luxembourg Consulate in one of the Schengen Agreement member countries. Passports must be valid for at least six months after the date of departure.

Short-term stay (less than 90 days)

Non-EU citizens may stay in Luxembourg for up to 90 days as long as they have a valid identity card or passport and a visa (if applicable). They must be able to prove they have sufficient financial means to cover the expenses for the duration of their stay and have valid health insurance. A declaration must be made at the local Municipal Office within three working days of arrival. If the person is staying in a hotel or other tourist accommodation, they will need to fill in an accommodation form (fiche d'hebergement). During their stay they may not carry out any paid work without permission from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Any non-EU citizen in Luxembourg for business reasons, and staying for more than one month, must make a declaration of arrival at the Municipal Office.

Long-term stay (more than 90 days)

Non-EU citizens who wish to stay for more than 90 days must apply for an authorisation to stay (autorisation de séjour temporaire) before arrival in Luxembourg. This application is sent to the Immigration Office at the following address: The following are the most commonly-issued autorisations de séjour:
  • Autorisation de séjour d’un ressortissant de pays tiers en vue d’une activité salariée: For employees
  • Autorisation de séjour d’un ressortissant de pays tiers en vue d’une activité indépendante: For self-employed
  • Autorisation de séjour d’un ressortissant de pays tiers à des fins d’études: For students
  • Autorisation de séjour du membre de famille d’un ressortissant de pays tiers: For family members
  • Autorisation de séjour d’un ressortissant de pays tiers pour des raisons privées: For other reasons, for example retirement
The necessary documents vary depending on the type of application, however, the following documents are required in most cases.
  • Copy of the applicant's passport
  • Birth certificate
  • Curriculum vitae
  • Copy of diplomas and professional qualifications
  • Proof of financial means if without employment
  • An affidavit or police record
  • Work contract, dated and signed by the applicant and the employer (if applicable)
Non-EU citizens must also undergo a medical examination by an established doctor in Luxembourg and a and TB screening by the Health and Social Welfare League (Ligue médico-sociale - LMS). There are some exceptions to this rule. The Immigration Medical Department (Service Médical de l'Immigration - SMI) of the National Health Directorate (Direction de la Santé) will then issue a medical certificate. This certificate is required by the Immigration Directorate of the Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs in order to to approve a resident application.
For more information on medical examinations for third country nationals All documents not in French, German or English should be translated into one of these languages by a sworn translator. They must be authenticated with an apostille certificate or notarised from a competent authority in the applicant's place of residence. Contact the Luxembourg Consulate in the country of residence for further information. The applicant receives a letter confirming the authorisation to stay. If a reply has not been received within three months, the applicant can consider the application refused. Note: Once the autorisation de séjour has been issued, the applicant must enter Luxembourg within 90 days or, if a visa is required, the application for a visa must be submitted within 90 days.

Registration at the local Commune

Those holding a long-term stay permit must make a declaration of arrival within three working days of arrival in Luxembourg at the Municipal Office (Commune) of the place of residence. The following documents will be required:
  • Passport with the valid visa (if applicable)
  • Letter confirming the authorisation to stay (autorisation de séjour)
  • In some cases, proof of address will be necessary
A copy of the declaration will be issued as proof that the person has the right to stay in Luxembourg. Employees may not begin work until they have declared their arrival at the Commune.

Residence Permits (Titre de Séjour) for Non-EU Citizens

An application for a residence permit (titre de séjour) must be filed with the Immigration Office within 90 days of arrival in Luxembourg. The following documents must be provided:
  • A certified copy of the authorisation to stay (autorisation de séjour)
  • A certified copy of the declaration issued by the Commune
  • A medical certificate issued by a Luxembourg doctor
  • Proof of appropriate accommodation
  • A recent photograph (45X33mm)
  • Proof of payment of a fee (Payment must be made to the Direction de l’Immigration, Ministère des Affaires étrangères)
If the application for a residence permit is accepted, the applicant receives a letter informing them to collect it from the Immigration Office. The titre de séjour is a sticker that is placed in the holder's passport. The titre de séjour is valid for one year maximum, for one profession only and in one job sector. If the passport expires before the end of the one year period, the permit will only be valid until the passport expiration date. Employed persons who have already received a long-term residence permit in another EU member state, and who have an autorisation de séjour, will be granted a titre de séjour valid for five years. Once the person has received their titre de séjour they must return to the Municipal Office in their locality to confirm their arrival declaration. A residence certificate (certificat de résidence) will be issued.

Renewal of the Titre de Séjour

The application for renewal of a titre de séjour must be made within two months preceding its expiry. After five years or more of continuous residence, the person may apply for long-term residency (résident de longue durée). Applications are sent to the Immigration Office.