Non-EEA Driving Licences

Find out how to exchange a non-EEA driving licence and what to do if you licence isn't valid for exchange...

A non-EEA country driving licence must be exchanged for a Luxembourg one within one year of taking residency in Luxembourg, but no earlier than 185 days after arrival.

To request a licence exchange

Complete the application form which can be downloaded and provide the following documents:

  • Form Demande en obtention d’un permis de conduire.
  • Recent ID photograph 45 x 35 mm
  • Medical certificate no more than three months old, issued by a doctor licenced to practice in Luxembourg
  • A criminal record check (extrait de casier judiciaire) issued by the police or from the country of origin if residency period in Luxembourg is less than five years. A request for this record can be made online (select Demander un extrait de casier judiciaire)
  • Photocopy of both sides of the foreign licence
  • Photocopy of valid photo ID
  • Tax stamp (Timbre de Chancellerie), available from the SNCA or the Administration de l'enregistrement et des domaines

The licence will be exchanged for one in an equivalent category and the original licence is send back to the issuing country by the SNCA.

Note: There may be exclusions for licences issued by certain countries. It is important to check with the issuing country consular office in Luxembourg, or with the Luxembourg Embassy in the issuing country before making an exchange application.