Leaving Luxembourg: Cross Border Road Rules

Germany, France and Belgium are just a short drive from anywhere in Luxembourg. Make sure you don't get caught out on the wrong side of traffic law if you venture over the border...

Luxembourg is a small country and driving more than 30 Km in any direction reaches the border of another country with its own motoring rules. Here are some guidelines to consider before crossing the border.

Driving Licences

Irrespective of the minimum driving age in the country where a licence was issued, drivers in Luxembourg, Germany, France and Belgium must be 18 years or over.

Speed Limits

These are the usual speed limits; additional restrictions may be in place in some areas.

Road Type Luxembourg Germany France Belgium
Motorway 130 (dry)
110 (wet, rain)
None (unless otherwise stated)
130 (recommended)
130 (110 in some regions)(dry)
110 (wet, rain)
National Roads 90 90 90 90
Built-up areas 50 50 50 50
School areas 30 30 30 30

Drinking and Driving

Drinking and driving is restricted in most European countries. The legal blood alcohol limit in Luxembourg, Germany, France and Belgium is 0.5 grams of alcohol per litre of blood.

What to Carry in the Car

It is compulsory to carry the following documents in the car at all times:

Document Luxembourg Germany France Belgium
Vehicle registration documents Yes Yes Yes Yes
Insurance certificate Yes Yes Yes Yes
Road Tax Yes Yes No Yes
Warning triangle Yes Yes Yes Yes
First aid kit Yes Yes No Yes*
Fire extinguisher Yes No No Yes*
Reflective vest Yes Yes Yes Yes
Driver's proof of identity Yes Yes Yes Yes
  • The triangle must conform to EU standards, evidence for which is the stamp E 27 R. The triangle can be carried in the car boot
  • The high-visibility garment (reflective vest/jacket) must conform to EU standards EN 471 or EN 1150, in order to conform with European Directive 89/686/EEC. It has to be accessible at all times from within the car; it may not be kept in the car boot
  • Fire extinguisher must be valid (the use-by date must be regularly checked)
  • *Compulsory for Belgian registered vehicles, thus recommended for foreign registered vehicles

Winter driving: snow and ski stations

It may be obligatory to carry snow chains in the car on winter trips to French and Swiss mountains and ski resorts.

Driving in Cities

There are no tolls for entering cities in Luxembourg, Germany, France or Belgium. However, when entering some German cities some cars must display a sticker on the vehicle windscreen (this is pollution-related and depends on the vehicle type and its emissions).

The stickers can be obtained from the ACL.

Required documents:

  • Copy of the registration documents
  • Certificate of conformity
  • Proof of payment of the fee

Motorway Tolls

Most French motorways require payment of toll. Toll operated motorways are clearly indicated. Payment may be made in cash or by credit card.

Swiss motorway stickers can be obtained from the ACL (see details above).


Parking disks vary from country to country and their use may not be accepted in all countries. It's recommended to carry a disk for each visited country.

Disabled parking (the blue badge)

The blue badge is a standardised European Community disabled person's parking permit which provides parking entitlements to badge holders in all complying European countries - a blue badge from one country is valid in another. The badge is issued in a country of residence.



Belgium's main Automobile Association is RACB:


France does not have a national breakdown service; there are many local breakdown services which can be contacted if needed (assistance automobile). Special rules apply for car breakdowns on the motorway where the autoroute service provides assistance.

  • Autoroutes.fr has instructions on what to do in the case of a breakdown on the motorway


Germany's national breakdown and recovery service is ADAC:

  • ADAC (in German)
    Tel: +49 (0)180 222 2222


Luxembourg's main Automobile Club is ACL:

Traffic Information Websites

  • Luxembourg: CITA is the Luxembourg official traffic website with live webcams
  • France: Bison Futé is the official French real-time information website reporting traffic conditions and road works across the country
  • Germany: Verkehrsinfo provides information on traffic and road works in Germany (and some information for Belgium and the Netherlands)
  • Belgium: Inforoute updated by the Belgian Police provides road works, current traffic information and webcams on motorways;
  • Switzerland: Inforoute for real-time information on traffic conditions and available parking in the main Swiss cities