Road Traffic Accidents in Luxembourg

Information on what to do if you have a road traffic accident: who to call and how to fill in the accident report document for insurance after a car crash...

All Luxembourg registered cars must have at least third party liability auto insurance (assurance responsabilité civile - RC).

Other motor insurance such as fire, theft, vandalism are optional. A fully comprehensive insurance known as Assurance Casco is often taken out for new vehicles.

Third party insurance covers any injury or damage that the insured may cause to another party and their vehicle, and may include cover of any legal costs that may be incurred.

Fully comprehensive insurance will also cover damage to the insured vehicle. The insurance premium depends on the age and model of the car, the driver's age and driving history and the amount of their no claims bonus.

Once a vehicle insurance contract has been signed, the policy holder is provided with a certificate of motor insurance which they must sign. The certificate, known as a carte verte, must be kept in the car at all times when driving or parking in public areas. The certificate serves as proof of valid liability insurance and is accepted throughout Europe in countries which are signatories of the Green Card System.

The carte verte certificate is valid for one year, although a temporary one-month certificate may be issued following the purchase of a new or used vehicle.

Only residents of Luxembourg can take out vehicle insurance in Luxembourg.

Accident Report Sheet

The insurance company will also provide an accident report sheet (constat amiable d'accident) which should be kept in the car. The constat is an agreed statement of terms. It is to be filled out at the scene of the accident; it is purely a statement of facts not an establishment of blame. Information required includes: place of accident, names of witnesses, names of drivers with driver licence detail (which the driver must carry when driving) and details of the insurers.

The accident report sheet will need to be sent to the insurance company within a limited time which differs from one company to another (usually five to eight days). Check with the insurance company.

In the event of a car accident occurring with a parked vehicle or to someone else's property, it is customary for the driver to leave a card with their name and contact details.

What to Do at the Scene of an Accident

In the event of an accident, stop immediately and move to a safe place. If necessary, alert oncoming traffic by placing a red warning triangle 30 metres down the road. If there are injuries call the appropriate emergency services:

  • Police Tel: 113
  • Ambulance Tel: 112

In the event of a minor accident

  • If two cars were involved, use either drivers' constat amiable d'accident (only one form needs to be filled out as there are carbon copies for each party)
  • If more than two cars are involved, a separate accident report form should be completed by each party (and if the vehicle was pushed on to a vehicle in front of it, this should be mentioned)
  • Both drivers must fill out the constat, agreeing to the basic circumstances surrounding the accident. There should be written and graphic descriptions of the accident
  • Both parties must then sign the completed constat, which can be used as evidence and should not be signed unless both parties understand and agree with the statements and diagrams

If a driver refuses to sign the form, make a note of the registration number and take the details of any witnesses. In some instances, it is recommended to call the police to witness damages.

In the event of a serious car accident

If there have been injuries or fatalities call for the Police and Ambulance and give as much detail as possible.

  • Police Tel: 113
  • Ambulance Tel: 112

Do not move vehicles involved until the Police arrive. Alert oncoming traffic with a warning triangle.

  • If the Police are at the scene of the accident, they will fill out the accident report. If the Police are not present the parties involved must fill out the constat amiable d'accident. If this is not possible due to driver injury, passengers or witnesses can do it
  • Take the name, addresses and insurance details of all parties involved and the registration numbers of the vehicles
  • Take the names and addresses of any witnesses (try to obtain as many as possible)
  • If possible, photograph the scene of the accident
  • If involved people are hospitalised the authorities will complete the paperwork on their behalf
  • If a person is injured but not hospitalised, they should get a medical certificate detailing their injuries
  • Keep any clothes or items damaged as a result of the accident
  • If a person involved is in shock or has minor injuries, seek medical advice after the accident and send the report to the insurance company, the social security and the medical insurers

Breakdown Service

The Automobile Club du Grand-Duché de Luxembourg (ACL) is the Luxembourg automobile association. Various breakdown insurances can be subscribed to through the ACL. Recovery services while abroad are available 24/7.

  • ACL (in French and German)
    At: 54 route de Longwy, L-8080 Bertrange
    Tel: 45 00 45-1

Further Information