Information on how citizens of the United Kingdom, the USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa can access consular services from their Embassy in Malaysia...
Most countries have an Embassy or a Consular Office to deal with matters affecting their own nationals living in or visiting the country.
Citizens of the United States of America, United Kingdom, New Zealand, Canada, South Africa and Australia living in Malaysia are particularly well-catered for by the consular sections of their Embassies and other organisations. Information about services for nationals from these countries is provided below.
The British High Commission in Malaysia recommends that British citizens visiting or resident in Malaysia should register with the Consulate.
- British High Commission Kuala Lumpur
At: 185 Jalan Ampang, 50450 Kuala Lumpur
Tel: 03 2170 2200
Fax: 03 2170 2370
Open: Monday to Thursday 08:00-12:30 and 13:15-16:30, Friday 08:00-12:30
The British Consular Offices in Malaysia provide a number of services to British citizens in Malaysia, including:
- Advice about living and retiring in Malaysia
- Advice regarding what to do if a victim of crime
- Advice about how to find local lawyers, interpreters and doctors
- Advice regarding registering consular births, deaths and marriages
- Information about scams and how to stay safe while abroad
- Information about passports and renewals
The UK government's GOV.UK website provides information online for Britons considering moving abroad and for those already there. It includes tax, health and education advice as well as a section on what to do when returning to the UK.
British passports are not issued by the British High Commission. Applications for first passports and renewals must be sent HM Passport Office
in the UK.
British Honorary Consulates can also be found in other locations in Malaysia, including Penang, Miri, Kuching and Kota Kinabalu.
The US Embassy is based in Kuala Lumpur and provides a number of services to its citizens living in Malaysia.
It is necessary to make an appointment for non-emergency consular services. Passport services are available to the general public Monday to Friday from 09:00-11:00, except on Malaysian and American holidays.
The US Citizen Section in the US Embassy provides information about a number of matters including:
- Medical and health information
- What to do if arrested abroad
- How to get legal assistance
- Information about marriage, adoption, registering of births and deaths abroad
- Getting assistance in the event of a death in the country
- For more information about passport services: applying for a passport
- For more information about citizen services
The Australian High Commission is based in Kuala Lumpur. There are also Honorary Consuls in Sabah and Sarawak.
- Australian High Commission
At: No. 6, Jalan Yap Kwan Seng, 50450 Kuala Lumpur
Tel: 03 2146 5555
Fax: 03 2141 5773
Open: Monday to Friday from 08:30-16:30
Passports and notarial services are available by appointment only.
The embassy provides services and information to Australian citizens including:
- Information about living in Malaysia
- Advice about safety and security in Malaysia
- How and where to get healthcare
- How to register a marriage, birth or death
- How to get a Malaysian driving licence
- Dealing with tax issues
- Travelling tips and advice
- Passport renewals and replacements
- For more information about consular services available at the Australian High Commission: services for Australians living overseas
- For information about renewing or replacing passports: Australian passport information
New Zealand Citizens
The New Zealand High Commission provides consular services in Kuala Lumpur, as well as information and advice to New Zealand citizens living in or travelling to Malaysia.
The New Zealand High Commission provides a number of services to New Zealand citizens, including:
- Information about living and working in Malaysia
- Information about getting married in Malaysia
- Travelling safely while abroad
- Issuing passports and emergency documents
The Canadian High Commission in Malaysia is based in Kuala Lumpur and provides services to Canadian citizens visiting or living in Malaysia.
The Canadian High Commission provides services and advice to Canadian citizens, including:
- Registering births, deaths and marriages whilst overseas
- Information for Canadian businesses in Malaysia
- Passport services
- Emergency services
- General information about visa requirements and travel to Malaysia
- For comprehensive information on the consular services available: services for Canadians
South African Citizens
The South African High Commission in Malaysia is based in Kuala Lumpur.
The South African High Commission provides services to South African citizens visiting or living in Malaysia.
- Consular Assistance in Emergencies
- Consular Assistance in Detention
- Legal and Notary Services
- Civic Services (Home Affairs)